Sports Talk!! Part 7

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Coming from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1146574/

South Korea got the 2018 Winter Olympics. The N Koreans will probably put a nuke on their bobsled!

Off to see the Boulders tonight. Hope it doesn't rain.

Thumbnail by victorgardener
Cave Creek, AZ(Zone 9b)

Oh boy this ain't gonna be purty!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

We miss a lot of sports since we don't have cable either and won't until they finally finish putting FIOS in the area

Thomaston, CT

Hope the game is entertaining, Victor.....

New Boston, NH

What league are the Boulders in Victor?Who's farm are they?

Not a farm team, unfortunately. Independent league - the Can-Am league.

South Hamilton, MA

I hope that the Soth Koreans in the winter olympic are more sportman like than the summer ones. I remember the boxer who sat & sulked & would not get out of the ring. To be fair, It has been in France & Germany several times.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

keeping an eye on the Tour du France. Nobody watches it here but me, can't watch the major 4 sports all the time.

New Boston, NH

We had a Can/Am team in Nashua for a few years but they didn't make it with the competition of the Toronto farm team in Manchester.Who won last night?Boulders?
Red Sox and Yanks both playing good ball!

No, Boulders lost to Worcester. Many Can Am reams go under. That's why many residents were opposed to the stadium.

Cave Creek, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yes they did Gamekeeper :) I went to Hadlock field for the first time in Portland last weekend. It was a wonderful place. I'd go again in a heartbeat!

Wow - a fan died after he fell from the stands at the Texas Rangers game. Josh Hamilton tossed the foul ball int the stands. The guy reached and caught it, but then fell about 20 feet, head-first.

Thomaston, CT

Horrible! Need to make those railings taller.....

I have always found it amazing how people will do anything to get a $5 ball. It's nuts.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ouch

And his 8 yr old son was next to him. How horrible.

Cave Creek, AZ(Zone 9b)

I didn't see or hear about this directly. Heard them talking about it on a sports program. Asking should venues be responsible to keep their patrons safe, should patrons monitor themselves etc. I heard no details until reading this. Yes this is horrible.

A few years back I was at a professional hockey game once and one of the very very popular football players from our pro team was throwing several autograph footballs. I shouted to him by calling out his football jersey number that made him look up and he made eye contact and threw the ball up to me. The guy behind me knocked me over to get it (which he did) and someone beside me grabbed me or I'd have gone right over. This guy outweighed me by a hundred pounds. So even if you are in control of yourself your not in control of the strangers surrounding you.

True.

Cave Creek, AZ(Zone 9b)

I wanted to get the ball for my son (it was his favorite player) if it wasn't going to be in my reach I would have said oh well, but the fact that the nut job behind me literally tackled me to get it was nuts and that because he was behind me I had no time to anticipate anything. Glad the guy next to me saw it coming. Some of the newer ball parks, arenas and stadiums are very very steep and it is amazing more injuries don't occur. Your right people get crazed over a ball. Tragic. Just as scary to me is people unprepared for hard hit foul balls...I've seen a couple ugly outcomes with that also.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i am surprised more don't fall

South Hamilton, MA

line drive fouls are vicious. I have a major league baseball, hit foul & while people were diving for it, the ball came rolling along the support for the seats behind me & I just picket it up. It was at the Milwaukee County Stadium. The most scary upper deck I was in was the old Baltimore park. The tilt was such that you thought you were going to fall forward just sitting there.

This message was edited Jul 8, 2011 9:40 PM

Thomaston, CT

Whoa, not a place I would sit, Iris! I sat up by the roof watching a hockey game in Hartford....the players looked like ants.....

South Hamilton, MA

That park has been torn down. Hope the new one was not as bad.

Upper level at Shea was like that. Terrifying.

Cave Creek, AZ(Zone 9b)

I didn't watch the actual video of the guy falling to his death (that I can skip) but I did see a still of the railing. Thing was like only 3 feet tall. Heck my deck has a 4 ft. rail per local building code. You can't think that a 3 foot rail is going to stop the momentum of anyone more that 5 feet. To have some sort of barrier you need to have something that is a height of 2/3 of an avg/above adult height. This was poor engineering/design.

Thomaston, CT

I agree....railing was much too low....

Gotta hand it to Jeter - he has a flair for the dramatic. Not only a hr for the 3000th hit, but 5 for 5! He was generous to the guy who gave the ball back.

Cave Creek, AZ(Zone 9b)

Jeter definitely deserves his props. He gave the Yankees credibility through steroid scandals and the ego issues of other players. I can't believe they gave him such a hard time over his contract over the winter. HE is the face of the Yankees. And as a Red Sox fan for me Jeter, Mo Rivera and Posada are my favorite Yanks because of their work ethic.
And it definitely is nice to see a fan be just that a fan of the game and a fan of the player. The Yankees took very good care of him and rightly so.

I agree. I would add Bernie Williams to that list too. All class guys.

Thomaston, CT

I agree....Williams & Jeter are definitely favorites of mine...all those years of being forced to watch the Yankees when my DH was alive!

Cave Creek, AZ(Zone 9b)

yeah list is of current Yankeees. But if we were to pick any Yankee at any time I'd easily add Bernie and bonus...he plays a mean jazz guitar...Also Paul O'Neill and Scott Brosius.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

US women's soccer team beat Brazil and are now in the semi-finals of the World Cup Soccer. It was a close one and won on penalty kicks.

Thomaston, CT

And they did it with 10 players!

And against bogus refs!

South Hamilton, MA

Great for the ladies.

New Boston, NH

Jeter is the class act in baseball in my life time and I am a diehard Soxs fan.Hats off to him a real nice guy.

Word is the guy could have gotten as much as 250K for the ball! So nice to hear him say that money is not everything.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Jeter should toss that guy a little money on the side as a special thank you.

I agree.

Cave Creek, AZ(Zone 9b)

Seriously. He got lots of memorabilia and tickets to the rest of the games this year but had he decided to be a jerk he could have sold it for a nice piece of change and he didn't. Young guy too. Could probably use a little $$$.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.