Montana clematis info please

Glenwood, MD

We are building a new pergola over our backporch and I need suggestions of what type of clematis to use to cover it.
We currently have a 5-leaved akebia which has grown beautifully and covered the pergola so well over the past 14 years. However, it is very dirty, especially in the spring when it blooms and drops it's purple flowers which get tracked into the house. My husband has never liked it so I promised him when he redid the porch that it would go!
So now I need ideas...We had a clematis on the one side of the porch which we have had to move due to the expansion. Someone told me about the Montana Clematis. I have researched them a little and they seem to grow quite tall. That is definitely something we will need, because I would like whatever we put in to cover the pergola to increase the shade. The pergola is about 12 feet high and is 26 feet long. So whatever I put in, I want it to grow up over the pergola for cover. Which Montana varieties would you suggest? What are negatives about this plant as well? Are they "dirty" vines that drop a lot?
What would everyone suggest to help cover it? I plan to put one on each end of the porch.
Thanks,
Lisa

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

It grows huge. The "montana" part of the name comes from the French for monster.

How wide is the pergola? It may be too big for it and would need constant pruning - not good for that one. Ours goes for about 12' in each direction (if I'd let it) and you can see from this photo the new growth that continues growing for months. This is montana Grandiflora.

This message was edited Jul 6, 2011 11:12 AM

Thumbnail by pirl
Glenwood, MD

Interesting about the reason for it's name!
You are the first person that I know of who has one. Do you like it? Does it have any negatives? Pests, mildew, aphids, etc?

The pergola is 10 feet wide at one end and 12 feet at the other.
Thanks!

I like it but the drawback is that it grows too fast. No pests, no mildew. Loses the leaves in winter.

Google images for it and remember to check Plant Files to see how it performs for other people.

Louisville, KY

I bought two montanas from brushwood this past spring. One was grandiflora and the other was mayleen. They have both taken off lie a rocket. I am listed zone 6 and the montanas are zone 7 so I am pushing the zone.

I bought two from Joy Creek and they are also growing wildly.

If you planted them deeply and added a lot of mulch they should do fine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.