Help with a couple of IDs

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 5b)

I've been asked to help a couple choose plants for their yard. I went to see and tool pictures of a couple of plants they believe are in the wrong places to be happy. In order to tell them where to move them, I need to know what they are. I have a TINY yard, so have little experience with large plants.

The light colored one, I am SO sorry I didn't get a clearer picture of. The interior leaves are very mottled, while the ones on the outside are solid. You can see from the photo that it wants to be a taller, bigger bush but has been severely pruned to fit where they have it. Do you have any idea what it is????

Thumbnail by nilly
(Zone 7a)

Almost looks like a Willow, Salix, of some kind.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Salix integra Hakuro Nishiki.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56310/

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 5b)

I believe you nailed it!
THANKS!

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

YW. :-)

(Zone 7a)

Does it have any pink at the tips? I thought of that one but wasn't sure. I had one and I loved it. Sadly, it didn't like me.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Mine didn't like me either, kwanjin. It grew one year with mostly green leaves and then died entirely. No earthly idea why. I wasn't impressed enough to replace it.

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 5b)

Theirs seems to be growing just fine. They have kept it at about 3 feet tall, despite having to cut the branches that are 2-3 inches thick....

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I had one 10+ yrs ago. It looked pretty good when small.
But as it got older it was a sprawling mess.
It rejuvenates pretty nicely by cutting it way back in late winter.
But I agree w/ Kilda's assessment - eventually decided it wasn't worth the trouble.
Eventually the site became too shaded, and I sort of gave up on it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.