Mums Blooming Early

Cool Springs, NC(Zone 7a)

Normally, mums don't bloom until September-October. Mine started blooming 3 weeks ago. And the half-opened buds look sickly. Not bright in color.

Should I be cutting these premature blooms back so they will bloom in September-October and look like they did when I bought them and planted them last year?

What would cause them to bloom so early?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I would cut them back if the flowers are not pretty. Often mums bloom twice a year in the south but if you don't mind losing any flowers, cut them back and a benefit will be that the plants will be fuller in the fall.

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

Sighhbrrgal, when I questioned a well know nurseryman about this, he acted surprised that I didn't know. According to him, mums that are wintered over ALWAYS bloom in spring and early summer. He advised to just cut back as ardeisa suggested.

I have wintered over mums for years and this is the first time I ever remember this happening.

Mums just don't look right to me blooming with the spring flowers!

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I saw some mums in bloom yesterday and had to take a second look.
I agree about cutting them back so they save energy and will bloom fully in the Fall.
Barb

I recently discovered brand new growth which I know will bloom at the appropriate time. The leaves are bright green and easy to distinguish from the old leaves. The buds/flowers have pretty much died off. But I am going to go out this afternoon (when the shade hits) and cut them off. I won't cut them back too far though. I don't want to lose the whole plant.

Thanks for the advice.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

What?? You didn't go out in the dead of afternoon when the temps were in the 90's and humidity was around 80%?? Wimp! ;)
I bet your mums will bloom wonderfully for you in the Fall. Post pics when they do!
Barb

I took everyone's advice (sorry I didn't get back to this earlier but hubby was hospitalized in April and I've been going to physical rehab every day with no energy left in the heat) and cut back the blooms. They were rather scrawny anyways and browned out already. Now the bunches ARE growing thicker and with Fall right around the corner (it MUST be after all this heat for what seems like months on end) I'm praying that new buds will begin soon. Especially since the temps have dropped from 80 degrees at 7 am to 65. I will post pics when they bloom (gotta be optimistic!).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.