Hydrangea never flowered

East Aurora, NY(Zone 5a)

I bought a hydrangea, the tag is gone so I don't know its name, many many years ago. Over the years have moved it from shade, to sun/shade, to where it is now, in full sun. I have done just about everything I can think of and have as yet to see a flower on it from the day I bought it. It has been fertilized as they should be and if I don't see a flower this year, it will be gone unless someone can help me with this problem. It has always been in ideal soil also and doesn't have standing water anywhere near it. I have never pruned it as it dies down to the ground every year. I am in Zone 5a. What else can I do??? Thanks for any help or suggestions.

This message was edited Jul 4, 2011 2:43 PM

East Aurora, NY(Zone 5a)

Quote from woods787 :
I bought a hydrangea, the tag is gone so I don't know its name, many many years ago. Over the years have moved it from shade, to sun/shade, to where it is now, in full sun. I have done just about everything I can think of and have as yet to see a flower on it from the day I bought it. It has been fertilized as they should be and if I don't see a flower this year, it will be gone unless someone can help me with this problem. It has always been in ideal soil also and doesn't have standing water anywhere near it. I have never pruned it as it dies down to the ground every year. I am in Zone 5a. What else can I do??? Thanks for any help or suggestions.

This message was edited Jul 4, 2011 2:43 PM

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Given your zone and the fact that it's dying back every year, I suspect it's probably a Hydrangea macrophylla cultivar which blooms on old wood. If you want to see blooms, you will need to protect it over the winter so that it doesn't die back (a common method is to put a wire cage around it and fill it up with leaves). Or if you don't want that hassle, then you can replace it with a reblooming variety such as something from the Endless Summer or Forever & Ever series--those bloom on new wood as well as old so you will get some blooms even without winter protection.

East Aurora, NY(Zone 5a)

Thanks so much for the information as I think I will try your overwintering idea with the cage and leaves, which the latter I have plenty of. lol If I don't get any flowers next year then I will take it out and replace it with one of the others you suggested. Again thank you....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.