Mail order experiences. Good or Bad you decide.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

A few months ago I purchase 2 Cameo Hostas from Michigan Bulb company. They were about half the price of most other mail order nurseries. When I received the Hostas they were severly dehydratred and had micro tape around the roots. I called the company, I said,'Why do I have dead Hostas with tape around the roots, where are the pots and dirt. Well the tape is to actually keep the roots from dyeing and the rest of the plant gets dehydrated. You soak them in water for 24 hours and then plant them. OK, ok.

Thumbnail by virginiarose
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

This is me trying to revive the plants!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

This is the plants four months later.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

These are the Cameos in the front, this pic taken recently. (06-24-11)

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I recently order ten plants from a Yahoo co-op. ( BnPCo-opBuying@yahoogroups.com )

I got ten liners at 3.00 a piece which cost me 30.00 then 12.65 for postage and 1.55 for pay-pal fee. total is 44.20.

1-Guacomole
1-Olive Bailey Langdon
2-Stained Glass
2-Great Expectations
2-Robert Frost
2-Little Aurora

Pleasant Grove, UT

Great Expectations is one of my very favorite hosta. It is so beautiful even when it is young. It's fault is it isn't the fastest grower. I would suggest good morning sun, a little extra water, and frequent fertilization with a 1/2 strength liquid fertilizer. Here are two of mine that are about 10 years old.

Thumbnail by Paul2063
Pleasant Grove, UT

Detail of GE

Thumbnail by Paul2063
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Virginia - I've ordered lots of bare root hostas. #1 in importance is quick mail service so that they don't spend a lot of time in a hot warehouse.

Then, the ones I've received have usually had the totally bare roots wrapped in moist paper towel. Over that, a wrap of plastic wrap secured with tape or elastic bands, but keeping the foliage free. Finally, a cone of newspaper over the whole thing to protect the foliage and separate it from the next plant. They are generally packed into a box with styrofoam peanuts or shredded newspaper or the like to prevent a lot of shifting.

When I receive them, I generally hydrate them in glass jars for a day or so and then plant. The foliage should still be in good condition. I've never had one that didn't do well and the only one that has ever arrived in a pot with soil was a very, very tiny one - Country Mouse.

I think your supplier could and should find a better way of shipping them.

Ann

Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Virginiarose, Did you get them all potted up? The roots in those liners grow like crazy and can push all of the dirt out. I have been pleasantly surprised on how fast some varieties of the liners I bought from the co-op last fall have grown this year. I was just out this morning taking pictures of some of them. I bought them last August and they were the same 1" plugs.

This pic is from when I had received them and got them potted up.

Thumbnail by franknjim
Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

American Icon 2nd year liner

Thumbnail by franknjim
Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Ann Kulpa 2nd year liner

Thumbnail by franknjim
Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Cheatin' Heart 2nd year liner

Thumbnail by franknjim
Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Climax 2nd year liner

Thumbnail by franknjim
Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Dance With Me 2nd year liner

Thumbnail by franknjim
Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Dawns Early Light 2nd year liner

Thumbnail by franknjim
Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Dust Devil 2nd year liner

Thumbnail by franknjim
Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Fire Island 2nd year liner

Thumbnail by franknjim
Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

First Frost 2nd year liner

Thumbnail by franknjim
Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Goober 2nd year liner

Thumbnail by franknjim
Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Green Mouse Ears 2nd year liner

Thumbnail by franknjim
Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Katie Q 2nd year liner

Thumbnail by franknjim
Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Masquerade 2nd year liner

Thumbnail by franknjim
Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Miss Ruby 2nd year liner

Thumbnail by franknjim
Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Monatana Aeuromarginata 2nd year liner

Thumbnail by franknjim
Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Pineapple Juice 2nd year liner

Thumbnail by franknjim
Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Spartan Arrow 2nd year liner

Thumbnail by franknjim
Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Summer Lovin' 2nd year liner. I have around eighty 2nd year liners and a half dozen new liners this year but I don't want to get too carried away posting pics of All My Children! I am getting ready to order another twenty minis and smalls. :) As you can see from my pics, many of these grow like gangbusters producing lots of eyes on just their second year.

This message was edited Jul 3, 2011 5:06 PM

Thumbnail by franknjim
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Everybody, I found out how fast the roots shoot out, when I planted these little guys in my raised bed I have to replant a few that were not buried low enough, I could not believe how much the roots have grown in just two weeks. I planted all the little one's in the bed and only the bigger ones are still sitting in water. They really don't seem to mind. I could not go out there today, when I got off work it was 96 and all I could do was water the babies and go back in. Hopefully tomorrow, I will plant them in the ground, I already have a list of sizes so I will put the biggest ones in first at the back.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Paul, I really love GE and even though I ordered 2 babies and will still keep my eyes open for a big one.
I am putting as many in the ground as possible so they will be in their spot and will not have to be moved.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

ViolaAnn, besides what you see they were wrapped in rolls of paper. I also got three from a seller on eBay and his were well wrapped in wet paper-towels , then saran wrap, then rolled in paper. I got Band of Gold, Dream Queen, and Cherish. I was very pleased with the Hostas I got this go around. But I had to do my homework first, because if they don't know how to pack the plants the whole thing is a waste.

Here is bed so far, I have another 7 coming from Country Boy's and they will go in here also.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thanks for all the pics Frank and my choice for favorite mini is Masquerade 2nd year liner!

I was reading some of the email from the coop and they were talking about some new minis called Desert mouse and Lucky mouse. Have you ever heard of them??

Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

I saw them discussing those two mice but haven't seen or heard of them before. Naylor Creek recently had a collection of 10 different mice on the Hosta Library Auction for $90.00.

This is Blue Mouse Ears Supreme that I got through the co-op last fall for $20.00.

Thumbnail by franknjim
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

That's a nice Mouse Ear, I don't think I would ever pay 90.00 for a Hosta ( unless I bump my head) but I did see a new sport on Hallson's called 'North Wind' It is a sport of 'Second Wind' , I love the variegation and the way the leaves curl, I almost bought that for 30.00 but it was out-of-stock. Oh well !

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

A collection of 10 plants for $90 isn't a bad price at all. My 'Royal Mouse Ears' cost me $30 up here in Canada.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

OH, I didn't know it was a collection. I must have read it wrong, I thought they were biding on one plant. I'm sure the ten plants were worth it !

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Virginiarose,

I have 'North Wind' and it turns a solid, dark green during the season. Very pretty in the spring, but still pretty through the season if you like the dark green, cupped leaves (which I do!).

Rose

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Well thanks for the information Rose.

Susan

This message was edited Nov 18, 2014 3:50 PM

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Today I received my order from 'Country Boy Gardens'. It took about one week to get the plants and I ordered 7 plants:
First Frost -2yr-3"pot----------6.00
Glory Hallelujah-2yr-3"pot----3.95
Krossa Regal -2yr-3"pot-----1.95
Lonesome Dove-2yr-3"pot--8.45
Patriot Hosta-3yr-4"pot-------2.95
Mount Tom 2yr-3"pot----------2.95
Touch of Class-2yr-3"pot----4.95
shipping and handling--------12.95=) Flat Rate
order total 44.15

Box got wet but plants are all OK.

Huntersville, NC

SMH Frank! I saw that mini collection and couldn't decide to buy. (We were out of town.)

And I've regretted that decision ever since:(
The Mouse Collection I saw was recent with 8 plants for $63. . .something like that.
But 10 for $90. is still GREAT!

I've been watching for a repeat . . .I can only hope.

and By The Way, Frank . . . I have dubbed you Sir Frank, the Enabler!
My non DG friends look very quizzical when I use that phrase! ^_^ LOL

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Well, I received some beautiful plants from 'New Hampshire Hostas', just what I've been wanting. These are large Hostas that are ready to go into the ground and get big. I was very impressed with the size of the plants, they are extremely healthy and they were in 4.5 inch pots and very well packed. I bought ten hostas and got free shipping over fifty dollars and I got the order in four days. Prices were very reasonable especially considering the size, they are all three or four year plants. I am very happy. I will post pictures of all the plants on a different thread:

My new Hostas from 'New Hampshire Hostas'

This message was edited Aug 6, 2011 7:03 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.