White Spiderwort

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Just out testing a new macro lens and I came across a white Spiderwort bloom. Just past its prime and the first one of the plant's buds to bloom. I put a marker on the stem so I can find that plant again. Will other blooms also be white? I found no mention of this doing a Google search. How long until I can collect the seeds? Though seeds are probably a cross and may not turn out white. Any other way to propagate this one plant? Spiderwort is one of my favorite wildflowers to take pix of. Yes, I have pix if anyone wants to see some.

This message was edited Jul 3, 2011 11:04 AM

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I loked this morning and the other buds (on the same stalk) are starting to open - all white: white petals, white stamens with yellow anthers. Hope that is the right description. Please help me preserve this one plant.

This message was edited Jul 4, 2011 12:57 PM

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Keep track of the plant's location. It can be propagated by division of the "root ball" when it grows and produces offsets.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

So, one approach might be to leave it alone and hope it produces it's own offsets that are also white?

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Offsets should be the same genetically as the parent.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

What do you know about collecting seed? I suppose there might be an interesting mix if I did.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Did a Google Search for collecting seed = lots of info. Seed will be ripe 2-3 weeks after bloom. Tie bag around seed head as it turns brown. Seeds need stratification. Deadheading will encourage a 2nd bloom later. Lots of white blooms on this one stalk right now.

This message was edited Jul 6, 2011 10:39 AM

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

#$*&@% deer. Went out to check on my plant - edge of the woods back of the house. Seed heads are gone! Only 2 plants are missing their tops and, of course, one had to be my white one, sigh. Never thought to cover it up or put a cgae around it. So much for collecting seed. But, I did read somewhere that deadheading might encourage another bloom later this summer. Fingers crossed.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

sorry, but it is truly deer food, that plant will prob bloom again, hope it is white, and you DID get pix? We havent seen any...

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Here's one.

Thumbnail by gasrocks
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Here's the white one that appeared in our wooded yard. Somehow the deer have missed it though they have done a lot of damage this year. Grrrrrr!

Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I wonder if spiderwort does like amaryllis bulbs, nex years bloom is growing now, and conditions are the color changes... We have the dayflower/spiderwort common here, from blue to lite pale violet, and I have seen white ones-I have mowed them as well, and during blooming season they just bloom shorter...your pix are gorgeous

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

One of the pictures above is of a white version of Tradescantia. Most of this discourse is about Hymenocallis lilies. Maybe H. caroliniana. Of course I may be wrong too.

This message was edited Jul 19, 2011 9:27 AM

This message was edited Jul 19, 2011 9:30 AM

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Tradescantia, spiderwort, native (grasses) discourse, both pix are spiderworts, and beautiful examples of same!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.