Blue Light and Franziska Marie Happy Together!

Muskegon, MI(Zone 6a)

I'm giving up on my roses and planting more clematis!

Thumbnail by michigan420
Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Beautiful show! and no thorns!

Muskegon, MI(Zone 6a)

True!! And no evil blackspot!

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Amazing blooms, what a nice combo. What are you feeding those clematis? Annette

Muskegon, MI(Zone 6a)

I believe it was Miracle Grow Bloom Booster and top dressed with composted manure. I think they like it! Plus I frequently tell them how beautiful they are and how much I love them :-)

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

So true about all of our plants. I just started using composted manure on my clematis this year, and it's made a definite difference, thanks to this clematis forum. Pleas keep posting your beautiful blooms.

Muskegon, MI(Zone 6a)

Thank you, Annette.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the Bloom Buster tip, michigan. I will try it. Mine need something to get them blooming this year.

Muskegon, MI(Zone 6a)

Pirl, two summers ago, I gave them some fireplace ash because I read they and peonies like that. Didn't dig it in just sort of threw some around the base. I think you've been growing Clematis longer than me....do they get to the point where they don't perform so well after a few years?

Thanks, again. I do have ashes I could spread.

My oldest clem's are my most reliable. One Duchess of Edinburgh died between 2009 and 2010 and that was probably 15 years old and I don't know why it happened.

The first few years seem to be the toughest.

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

Bonemeal and composted manure are working for me. I'll have to try the bloom booster! I did use Miracle Grow for Roses on mine. Lol.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

What beautiful and healthy clematis! Next question for you all; when did you apply the Miracle Grow Bloom booster and add the composted manure?

When they begin to grow in spring. You don't want excess new growth only to be killed by winter.

As I work on each and every one in fall I do add more compost but I don't dig it in - just spread it around the root zone for a foot or more in all directions.

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Where do you find this compost manure? Is it in the big box stores? Also since a lot of my Clems are mixed in with other plants will it hurt the roses or the other plants?
Should I do it to my newly planted ones this fall as well as the older ones and then mulch or just mulch?
Sorry ,, a lot of questions I know.

Marie

The big box stores carries deoderized composted manure. The roses will adore it and thrive as will the clematises. You can certainly add mulch on top of the manure for winter and it will slowly be worked into the earth by the busy worms.

You can add manure and mulch to new and old clem's. They do no harm and are very beneficial.

Thank you.
I am taking off the week of the 16th to get a lot of work done outside. That will go on my list of things to get done. Never a day off here...lol

There's never a day off for any gardener unless we force ourselves to take time away...and go plant shopping! I saw many clematises at one nursery but I don't buy "assorted" unless there's a bloom on it to give me a clue as to what it might be.

My friend has a montana Rubens (pictured here) and that was on sale at 50% off so I may buy it to block a view I don't like.

Thumbnail by pirl

WOW!

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I am keeping my roses. They just bloom so much and I like smelling them.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Wow, love that flowering shed roof!

Me, too. She has another one (not a montana) on the other side but it's not as vigorous.

I am still waiting for my Montana's to get a good root system going. Do they like more sun or partial shade. Maybe its in the wrong place.

They are monsters as the name implies. They want sunshine.

What exposure does yours have?

It is on the south side facing east under the canopy of trees. I was thinking of moving it to the north side in a more open area.

The canopy of trees could easily be the problem.

An open area seems like it would allow the clem to get more sun all day long.

This one faces east but gets sun all day long and I have to trim it back constantly.

Thumbnail by pirl

So that would work on that area that I want in front ,taking out that cedar tree.

Yes, if you want a monster in your front yard. It looks quite dreadful when it loses its leaves. This photo was taken 4/30/11. I'm not sure if you want something that looks like that for about six months of the year.

Thumbnail by pirl
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I whacked my m. Maylene down to about 3 ft this spring, and it grew like crazy again, almost taking over the entrance to the back porch. Yesterday, I found that it has grown through the hosta bed and was greeting me on the walkway about 8 ft from where it's planted. LOL!!!! I love this clem. Also, it seems pretty disease resistant, and unlike Josephine and Comtesse de Bouchard, no blight or insect problems. Annette

I would NEVER say you're wrong. It's one thing I do like about the montana family. You can whack away if they intrude - it's just that it seems to be a weekly job but the deer like to help me and eat only the newest growth.

Many of the big flowered clematises have issues and some require a nursemaid. I love their blossoms but wish there were more montana clem's and that I had more places for those monsters.

Mine loves to attack the grill but 15 minutes tames it...for a week.

Thumbnail by pirl

Well , I could always throw some lights on it for the Holidays and just forget to take them off till spring...lol

True...and funny!

Louisville, KY

Since its a monster maybe you could black and orange lights on it for Holloween. My montana rubens continues to grow like crazy. Unfortunately my M grandiflora met its fate with my weed wacker. I have been watering it and caring for it like all my other clems but it has so far shown no signs of life. I am hopin it will spring up when spring comes.

I'm really tempted to buy m. Rubens since it's on sale now but then I'd feel guilty for not yet getting the rest of my Garden Crossing order (from August) planted. I did heel them in before we left for Maine and Cape Cod but have only planted a few so far.

Good luck with m. Grandiflora.

I'll think about the Halloween lights...but not too much!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.