Blooming in July

Conway, SC

Love my "Dynamite" crape myrtle.
Hope everyone has a safe and happy Independence Day !!

Thumbnail by BSD
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks & you too have a safe & happy 4th!

I'm not a fan of crepe myrtle but am a fan of that color! I love the reds!

My Lace Flower, Alsobia finally bloomed! These guys are so pretty and delicate looking! This one is called San Miguel.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

And my Polianthes tuberosa, The Pearl is blooming too .. these flowers have an awesome fragrance!

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

X- I'm not familiar with the Lace Flower, very cool.

My crinums are going nuts this year, guess they like neglect and drought. Here's a picture of just one. I call it "Alice", but I think it's real name is "Ellen Bosanquet." A couple years ago I made a comment to Ardesia (Alice) that I wanted a crinum and she said, "Oh, I have one you can have, just come dig it up." When I called for directions she jokingly mentioned it was the size of a volkswagon. I thought she was joking, not! I gave crinums away to everyone I saw that summer!

This plant is just one bulb (or it was three years ago.)

Thumbnail by bordersandjacks
Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

Aren't these the coolest looking melons? They're an heirloom called Prescott Fond Blanc. I've never tried them, just bought the seeds 'cause they look cool...

Thumbnail by bordersandjacks
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Lace Flower is new to me too! I like crinums but they spread way too much too fast - very hard to keep control of .. I ended digging all of mine up and giving them away early this spring. The largest one was the size of a basket ball!.

That melon is amazing! At first I though they were rocks!

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Jennifer - I had to laugh at your explaining getting the Crinum from Alice because if I remember right someone took a picture of it barely fitting in the back!

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Bordersandjacks, yes - very cool melons. Lavina gave me some yellow watermelon seeds which I planted late. Nice vines and flowers, but will we get melons? Sure hope so!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I bought a yellow watermelon at the Farmer's Market last weekend. The family was here for the holiday and we compared the red and yellow and found the yellow to be different but delicious, it had a sort of tropical fruity flavor, refreshing!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

This just blew me away! Passiflora aurantia

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

X- wow! Never seen that one before, gorgeous!

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

"Tara" Ginger

Thumbnail by rednyr
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

I love Gerbers...

Thumbnail by rednyr
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

I love mother nature and all her colors... Justicia Radiant aka Flamingo Flower

This message was edited Jul 10, 2011 3:07 PM

Thumbnail by rednyr
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

thank goodness for Branden's Macro setting because the stalk of this sunflower is over 10' so between zoom, macro and anti shake...turned out good! lol

Thumbnail by rednyr
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Tutti Frutti Agastache..

Thumbnail by rednyr
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Bright Eyes-Phlox

Thumbnail by rednyr
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Wow! Beautiful! Love that Tara Ginger .. it looks like a hedychium. Does it have another name besides Tara? The Tara I know is a bottle brush ginger! And what is that plant below the Gerbera Daisy? Does your Gerbera come true from seed?

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Passiflora

Thumbnail by rednyr
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

The Tara Ginger (yes it's a Hedy) I picked up when I did a flower show at Swan Lake - the lady was from Florida and did all tropicals...she wanted one of my Datura's so we swapped..hows that for a free win win! She picked up stock from a going out of business grower...here's a pic of it http://www.smgrowers.com/products/plants/plantdisplay.asp?plant_id=2535 from another FL grower..

This Gerber I have not grown from seed so I can not give you an adequate response - sorry they were all death rack saves from last year that I put in my cutting garden (4 Gerbers for 2.00...yea...snicker - I knew they'd come back!) but if you want this one red one I can pot it up for you should you want it and ship it on down :)

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

I am soo digging how the Mojito EE is turning out...feels like I'm looking at a rorshak (sp?)

Thumbnail by rednyr
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

"Golden Queen Metal" Datura - grew 4 types this year...Black Currant Swirl is about to bloom also...waiting on the double white to get into gear! lol

Thumbnail by rednyr
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Gotta love that Mojito for sure! Thought I'd lost mine this winter .. it wintered over in the greenhouse and totally disappeared by February. Thought it was a gonner .. I was delighted to see some green poking up when it started to warm up. I'd love some of the gerbera!

If you really want the Beaumontia, Santee looks about half way between you and me. If you want to make the drive d-mail me and we'll work it out.

My Formosa lilies are finally starting, everything is so late this year. This one is about 8' tall.

Thumbnail by ardesia

My living hummingbird feeder, a bit worse for wear after last nights storm but YAY for the much needed rain.

Thumbnail by ardesia

Hibiscus Mahoe coloring up nicely.

Thumbnail by ardesia
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Lol .. I like that .. living hummingbird feeder .. I've had some pitched battles with those guys at the honeysuckle and red salvia .. I've never heard of Mahoe hibiscus .. reminds me of Snow Queen with that beautiful variegated foliage.

Glad you finally got some rain and I've never seen an 8 foot tall lily before!

Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

Harumph, Mojito hates me. Where ever I put it it looks sad and spindly; I saw a beautiful clump of it on Hilton Head this morning.

I think the variety of the hibiscus is 'Mahoe', I've always known it as Hibiscus tiliaceus.

You are probably right Jenn, it has lots of names including Hibiscus Hua.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

This is why it's not a good idea to grow Passion Flowers and Morning Glory together. I spend about 10 minutes every morning rescuing the MG buds.

This message was edited Jul 13, 2011 8:27 AM

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

What's going on with that bright red leaf underneath the green & white ones?

It is a characteristic of this cultivar.

Thumbnail by ardesia
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

very cool indeed Ardesia!

Thanks, I love this hib, I had a huge one for many years when the cold took it about 3 years ago. I replaced it and that one bit the dust also, finally found another that seems to like it here.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Oh that is neat!

Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

Yes, I had to the hibiscus one once I saw it. I love it. If you ever get the chance to go plant shopping with Alice, just trail around after her and see what she finds. That's what I do.

LOL, but the funny thing is everything Jenny plants grows and looks awesome and the same plants here look pitiful.
You need to post more pictures of your veggie bed Jenn.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Well most plants are loathed to bloom in this heat but there are a few brave souls!

My Bat Plant, Tacca chantrieri

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

And my Yellow Rain Lily - which should be called drought lily at this point.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

X- I know what you mean...I find no hide nor hair of my rainlily (it came up this spring so I know it's there) but the heat has been brutal on it..

Hey the Beaumontia is digging it's spot under the Arbor...lots of bright morning light and then more late afternoon - got her a new pot last week and today I'm hoping to get her potted up and settled in. The hubby was really impressed with it (showed him online pics of bloom) he is really digging the idea of it going up and over the built in cabinets..thank you again for sharing her with me!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.