Clematis suggestion

Glenwood, MD

We are building a new pergola over our backporch and I need suggestions of what type of clematis to use to cover it.
We currently have a 5-leaved akebia which has grown beautifully and covered the pergola so well over the past 14 years. However, it is very dirty, especially in the spring when it blooms and drops it's purple flowers which get tracked into the house. My husband has never liked it so I promised him when he redid the porch that it would go!
So now I need ideas...We had a clematis on the one side of the porch which we have had to move due to the expansion. Someone told me about the Montana Clematis. I have researched them a little and they seem to grow quite tall. That is part of my concern, because I would like whatever we put in to cover the pergola to increase the shade. The pergola is about 12 feet high and is 26 feet long. So whatever I put in, I want it to grow up over the pergola for cover.
What would everyone suggest to help cover it? I plan to put one on each end of the porch.
Thanks,
Lisa

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Look at the Brushwood site (just one of many) and look at the montana clematises to see what you'd like.

http://www.gardenvines.com/shop/search/results.html?search_in_description=1&zenid=296bcd8b17db490b16dd7c8308b06ca7&ignore_special_flag=1&keyword=montana

Glenwood, MD

Thanks so much! That's a great website!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.