CLOSED: FALL Houseplants/Tropical Swap Chat & Interest

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Here's your chance to update us with progress reports about the plants you received in our Spring Houseplants/Tropical swap, chat in general, and express interest in joining us again in the Fall.

If you are new to DG or have not previously participated in a swap I've hosted, prior to posting on this thread please D-mail me with your name, mailing address, phone number, and your email address. Personal information collected will not be shared and is only for my log.

This is an Interest Thread. For the actual Swap, I'll open a new thread either later this month or early August with a mail-out date of September 30. That means we'll have 8 weeks for a cool down to mail plants.

You will only be obligated to send to one person, your assigned Buddy. Any side trades you all decide to work out should be handled through D-mail.

Guidelines below are the same as they have been in the past...

Our twice-a-year Houseplants/Tropicals Swap is held in the Spring and Fall. We share a minimum of 3 healthy houseplants and/or tropicals whose value is $20 excluding Priority Mail with a Delivery Confirmation number. Feel free to divide plants you already have or propagate new ones from cuttings. If your budget permits, you're also welcome to include other gardening items such as gloves, water globes, plant markers, etc.

This message was edited Jul 5, 2011 8:08 PM

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

Reserved for interested participants...

candles4u / Crystal
careyana / Carey
Carolyn22 / Carolyn
catzgalore / Stephanie
chellflower / Chell
Cville_Gardener / Carole -- maybe
dispatcher1 / Lou
FruitOfTheVine / Susan
GAgirl1066 / Paula
GardenQuilts / Lori Lynn
goldhillal / Crystal
happgarden / Joyce
ilovejesusus99 / Sandy
janaestone/ Di
jsxtiger / Jax
Mud_Elf / Kris
plantsforpeg -- maybe
rouxcrew / Joy
rvnsbrk / Neener
tikipod / Angie
Tina_A

This message was edited Jul 11, 2011 6:43 PM

Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

Count me in :)

(Ang) Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

Same here ^_^

(Carey) Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

How'd it go Fruity? In like flint? I ferget. :)

DH had an excellently good sales call so here's hoping it'll help in the finances department!

Gotcha added, Girls. Welcome back, Stephanie! A job in sales these days is hard work, Carey.

Well, he works in software sales for a well-established company. It's just getting their interest enough to buy the software.

(jax) Dundalk, MD(Zone 7a)

..............an it's off to ta races again! i'm in, please madam!

We couldn't start the next race without you, Jax!

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

In for a penny, in for a pound please.

(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I'm going to sit this one out.. I have plants everywhere LOL..I even have a White Queen caladium that's decided to go crazy and literally is growing inches every day! The first leaf is starting to unfurl and I just saw the first shoot coming out of the potting soil last week! :)

But I'll watch in my corner, as always..

Athens, PA

Count me in please

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

The Chenille plant you gave me, Joy, is blooming.

Did you get a bag of Caladium bulbs from me at the RU, Chris? I hope I didn't miss passing one out to you. And come on back if you change your mind, OK?

Is that the Captain Romance Calla you mentioned earlier or a different one, Carolyn?

Nighty night, folks. I'll see you tomorrow evening if not before.

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

Count me in, Fruity.

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

Please count me in as well.

Athens, PA

That is Capt Romance, although he is a bit crooked ^_^

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Please count me in.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

plantsforpeg,the hyacinth bean you sent that made a flower also set a bean, but I took it off this AM as I want it to grow bigger and not get busy setting seed just yet. The other 2 plants are growing, albeit slowly. But they are not in full sun, which might explain it. The cuban oregano never missed a beat. String of bananas going great guns also. Can't think what else you sent right now, but I believe everything is living.
Question about the pink jasmine vine: Do you grow this outside and does it bloom for you. Any growing tips would be appreciated. One of the several plants you sent is perky, but I have not given up on the others yet as they had great roots.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Yes, I know this is my 3rd message in just a few minutes, but sometimes I am quiet for a pretty good while. (While I am asleep)
Continuing from previous pages, once I asked my MIL (see i am catching on to these abbreviations) if it was difficult when her husband retired, She did not say anything for just a second too long. Then she said "Well, it takes some getting used to." I never heard her complain about her husband.
But actually, it is not me I worry about as much as him.
Maybe I am just not prepared for getting old. I do not feel old, and I do not want him to be old, even tho he acts like he is 90. (I am only a few months older than he is)
But I do not wish to disparage 90 year olds. I have a friend who is 92 who drives, takes trips all over the country (airplanes), and goes camping.
Well, go figure, as they used to say.
I am singing "Leaning On The Everlasting Arms" a lot lately.

Di, Lori Lynn and Crystal, I've added you gals :)

Blackshear, GA

I'm in...how did I miss this (almost)?

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

I am glad that your Chenille is doing well Fruity, I may have to get some cuttings back this fall. Mine is super suffering from the heat and drought even though I am watering regularly.

Joy

Look at my porch going up.

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

I donot want to say I am in yet,, Lets see if I can manage to take care of everything I am behind on now. Is that ok??

My SIL in Ft. Worth called yesterday and said her outdoor plants were suffering too, Joy. I'll take cuttings of the Chenille plant for you, and with a little luck will have plants to share back with you in the Fall, if not sooner. I adore farmhouses that have wrap-around porches. Keep us posted with your progress.

You're right on time, GA, and there's plenty of time left for anyone else who'd like to join us.

How about I put you down as a maybe, Elfie? I bet by Fall, you'll be more than ready.

Maybe is good, Thanks

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

Joy, look at all of the room you have for plants on the new porch! Are you going to grow interesting vines on the posts? I imagine rose bushes in front, clematis on the posts, windowboxes and matching planters and benches. I love the cottage look.

Joy I love what you're doing to your house! I loooove a nice big porch, and I can imagine sitting out there on a rocking chair with your pups by your side sipping lemonade. :)

OMG,, sooooo loving that porch,, when are ya gonna ask us all over to sit on it,, I vote for the fall & cool breazes,,,lol

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Joy, Beautiful Porch. A great thing to do. I know you will enjoy this.

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

I'm in. Ready to get back among the living.

Great porch Joy! Maybe you could close it in and make an apartment for your Mom. :0) Just kidding.. I feel your pain.

Elfie this one's for you. Planted it a few weeks ago.

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk

Well darn,,,, if it is for me why is it at your house?? lol

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

LOL!!!!

I've come up with a wacky idea and with the help of my Dad I will have a nice macrame hanger set up in the dining room. I will take pictures once I get it up. I'll take 9 hooks and about 3 long or several short chains. This will allow me to put up several macrame hangers by the sliding glass door, entry ways and not hit our heads* on them.

*We are all under 5'5 ... I'll have to tell my brother in law and my niece to duck lol.

Cause she has a Coleus Fairy, Elfie.
Wacky's good, Ang. Can you tell? lol

Welcome back, Neener :)

Fruity here's hoping my Dad thinks the same thing lol. If this works out well I'll ask him to hang some hooks in the living room. I have a beautiful 2-tier hanger that would look so much better in there.

I'm excited for fall as I should have a few plants to offer. I received some cuttings of plants I'm not familiar with or can't have indoors.

Help me out, Ang. You don't know what your new cuttings are, or you can't keep them inside because of your kitties?

They were all labeled. There is actually a handful of reason. Some are toxic to animals and I'm not sure I can place them in hanging baskets. Some are interesting but I'm not sure I like them enough to keep them. Some might be able to fit in a hanging basket but are easily propagated.

At the top of my head - Lace Kalanchoe, Big Mama Kalanchoe (hasn't recovered the trip), Mother of Thousands, Jade Plant, and Crown of Thorns. Actually I like the Crown of Thorns but I'm not sure she can be put in a hanging basket.

humpf, still should be at my house,,,lol

I over did it today, I had to move the pond, then level the pond, then do the retainig wall for said pond,, needless to say I am in pain, foot, hands and elbows,, I just want a new body for x-mass please!! But at least the goldfish like the new spot better,, Mooch cannot reach it to eat the fish now,,, sigh,, and yes he has decided goldfish taste good :o(

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I just saw this interest thread. The heat must be slowing me down!! :( The swap last Fall was a lot of fun. I need to wait closer to time to determine whether I'm in or not. So I guess I'm lurking. LOL. ^_^

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Elfie I have a self contained pond thing that I bought a few years ago. I only used it for a few weeks and decided it was too much trouble. I've been thinking of digging it out of the shed and doing something with it in the backyard where we sit all the time. I bought a cool bog plant a few weeks ago when I was up home and I was thinking of a water lily and some goldfish. You hit upon the problem though with the fish. Between the raccoons and the cats, I'm thinking it wouldn't be such a good idea. Hmm.. still thinking.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.