Locust trees

Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO(Zone 5b)

Just curious - we're building a new home and on the front of the lot is a very old, crooked locust tree. It is such a unusual tree I'd like to keep it, but I am not sure of how deep their root systems go, etc. We will be sitting on top of a hill and in Missouri, we get a LOT of high winds. How safe are these trees to build by? I've researched online but the sites I've found are pretty inconclusive. Here's a photo of the old tree - I don't know if it's thorny or not, will have to check my next trip to the land. Any thoughts would be most appreciated! Cynthia

Thumbnail by hanseycollie
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

It's actually an oak of some sort, probably one of the red oak group. Can you get a close-up of the leaves? If you can, post a pic of both the top side and the underside of a shoot, and also any developing acorns.

Resin

Sault Ste. Marie, Canada

Also add a pic of the trunk with something next to it for scale - of the two leaves I could clearly see (somewhat, lol) pin oak (Quercus palustris) came to mind - but the bark appears to fissured - like Resin said, definitely look for ripening acorns - that would be your definitive clue. I was amazed at the diversity of oaks in MO when I spent a year down there working with the MDC... 14 yrs ago now.

Here is a photo of the bark and the leaves. I'll post a few photos so hopefully we can find out what type of tree it is. Our concern is that we'll be building close enough to it should it fall over, but it looks like a very strong and majestic tree. I think it's pretty cool. Any help will be appreciated.
Here's photo 1.

Here is photo #2 of the same tree.

Here's photo #3. Isn't it a gorgeous old tree?

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

OK, hanseycollie - now you are just toying with us.

That first image you posted is NOT of the same tree as the three you just posted today. The pics from today is clearly a Gleditsia sp. of some sort, as you had originally postulated.

I'd say that it is Gleditsia triacanthos var. inermis, since I see no evidence of thorns/spines. Thornless Common Honeylocust is a fine tree, and worth keeping.

The behavior of Gleditsia spp. when they've had root disturbance is to send up suckers from their root systems. You might want to be prepared for that to happen if you are performing construction activities anywhere within the distance of the height of that tree, and further. If that is a 50' tall tree, then it is likely to have roots up to 75' or more away.

Yes, ViburnumValley, you are right as I posted the wrong photo the first time. This time I left the lot and drove home to post the photos while I knew which ones were which!

The common honeylocust is a good tree - one we can build by. It has root systems though that can spread under and around our new home. I don't mind the suckers coming up in the flower beds, but I would mind them coming through the septic line.

We don't have a choice as there would be NO way to remove the tree since it is so beautiful, so we'll have to see how we co-habitate, lol. Thank you so much ViburnumValley!

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

You are welcome - good luck on your construction project and enjoy the challenge of the new landscape opportunity!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.