CLOSED: Birthday Club 2011 # 11

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Rule number one is HAVE FUN! If you can't bring a sense of humor or a smile to the party don't come.

Rule number two is about the "gifting" of birthday goodies. New plan that I hope will solve the problems of most of the people with financial issues. All goodies must fall into one of these 3 categories:

1. A handmade or crafted something that you do. Most everyone I know on DG sews, paints, crafts or does some sort of hobby that they could share in some small way with the birthday people. If it is only a handmade card that you can send for $.44 that is terrific.

2. Second category would be plants. Hey we are a gardening forum after all. A lot of folks have extras or starts or cuttings. Send what you can afford to ship.

3. Gift cards for plants, or gardening related items or anything else that people have mentioned in their wishlists. I am not going to set an amount. Make it whatever your budget allows. Once again it is about the thought and the effort. Anyone that does crafts would love a card to Micheals or JoAnns etc. I know I would. Keep in mind a lot of gift cards can be done online eliminating the postage issue all together.

Now that we have the ground rules set I encourage everyone to go to the New Likes and Dislikes link and adjust their posts accordingly. List your plant wants. List the places you like to shop or would like a gift card from.

Current Members:

Rouxcrew (Joy) Jan. 15 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8142063
ClanCampbell (Chris) Feb.28 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8057458
FruitoftheVine- (Susan) April 9 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7958412
Janaestone - (Dianae) April 12 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7886210
momoftwo607 (Erin) May 6 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7885884
Crit (Patti) May 10 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8217784
GAgirl1066 (Paula) Sept. 1 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8039522
Ridesredmule (Charlene) Oct. 1 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7896427
Rvnsbrk - (Juanita) Oct 9 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7886786
GardenQuail (Michelle) October 28 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8242576
Dahtzu (Faye) December 25
Hope43 (Hope) Dec. 28 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8005430

New Likes/ Wants Thread

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1107561/

This message was edited Jul 3, 2011 7:24 AM

This message was edited Jul 7, 2011 1:23 PM

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Good morning and Hello!!

If I have missed anyone while I was away last week, please dmail me your particulars so I can add you to the list.

Kelly (cue_chik) stop by and chat so we know you are out there. You are our next birthday girl for July.

Forgive my typos if there are any. My fingers are stiff this morning and I seem to be getting more dyslexic as I go. :))

Blackshear, GA

Good Morning Neener, hope you are doing well!

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Hey Paula,

I'm hanging in there. I don't think it has really hit me yet. I bet when it does it will be a doozy. Anyway, life goes on and all we can do is go with the flow or drown. :0)

FU, United States(Zone 9b)

Well, I'm not going re-locate a deadly spider, fire-ants, or any other deadly toxic creature on my property. They would be better 'disposed of' quickly. Not worth my 'pet's or human life' not to do so. Uh oh, I may have stepped on someone's ingrown hairy toe. Oh cwap.

Neener, go do things you enjoy as much as ya can, and try to feel better. Glad you don't have much humidity. Humidity is torture.

Chris (ClanCampbell), I received a box in the mail a few minutes ago, "Thank you so much!", I will open it in a little bit and post here again soon.

Fruit, went driving to that little island today and got this shot of a bunch Bougainvillea bushes. I did'nt know they bloomed all of those different colored flowers. Soooo cool.
After the drunk sitting in the 'bar porch' was done yelling curses and crap, I was able to concentrate on getting that photograph and others. Ohh the joyyyy.

Thumbnail by LoveForests
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

Oh my Christina, that IS lovely!

lol @ the drunk on the porch & stepping on hairy ingrown toe

Oh my gosh, Woman! ...... Chris, those are the cutest gifts!, "Thank you" so so much!! They are truly awesome.
Chris (ClanCampbell) sent me a cute doggie windchime/bell. There is a clear red glass ball below the Doggy's head and the bell is below that glass ball. It can be hung by the hook. Hmmm, my cats would love that!
She also sent a cute/funny card, and this amazingly scented 'Tart Bar' (Rain Scent), that you break into pieces and melt in a burner. I "love" the scent!
And she also sent Calendula seeds (Pacific Beauty). I will have to read up on those. And 'seed ballz', where you put this ball outside and keep them wet and they will sprout plants/flowers. That is too cool =]
And my pup also received dog bones! (My old pup Thanks you, Chris, with sloppy wet kisses and a huge puppy smile!!!)
I had a seat removed from my truck a few days ago so my old pup can lay down comfortably in there (to give him more room). Now when he travels with me to outdoor photo shoots I can bring those dog bones to keep him busy when I'm busy photographing things :]
(I will get photos of all of these things you sent soon and upload them here).

Thumbnail by LoveForests
Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

WOW! can't believe I found you so soon. Love and Hugs to all, now out I go to water Angels.

(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

So glad everything got there ok and in one piece and you like them :) I was worried about sending the tarts..I could just see them melting all over the place LOL.. I loved that scent too, but I didn't keep it like I was tempted!! I bought those in OKC when I was there this month, so it's not like I can go out and buy myself some.

Hmmm.. Crit..how often do you go to OKC???? ^_^

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Watering seems to be a never-ending task, Faye, and spent the better part of two hours this morning soaking my baskets and potted plants.

Those Bourgies are breathtaking, Christina. You better get in here, GA, and help me learn how to propagate them from cuttings. The variegated one you sent me for my B-Day has already put up several side shoots and is healthy as can be.

My newest Asiatic Lily to bloom is "Dizzy" and started opening yesterday. And it's fragrant to boot.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

Oops, Chris...sorry for the cross post. Rains sounds like a refreshing scent. I've just finished the Beach scented Scenty blocks you sent me, Neener, and Ocean is waiting in the wings.

Love & Hugs Everyone :)

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

lily 'Starlette'

Thumbnail by momoftwo607

Chris, ... The Scented Tarts arrived in perfect shape (amazingly). I must have a great mailbox, LoL.
Ummm, what is OKC?? (I"m a total dork, most of the time, LoL).

Fruity & Erin, your Lilies look so healthy and beautiful. My first lilies looked o.k. for about 4 days then they looked like they drank too much tequila and fell apart.

:]

Night everyone, have a relaxed Friday.

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

Hey Erin, don't you love Starlette? I have it for the first time this year and just fell in love with how striking it is.

Thanks, Fruity, for adding 'Dizzy' - yet another lily for me to order :)

Christina - love the picture of the bougies - beautiful!

OKC - Oklahoma City

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

As much as you guys seem to enjoy lilies you should head over to http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1192537 and check out the show there. They have absolutely gorgeous pictures and lots of people post.

Terrific Chris! Can't wait to see pics. I haven't forgotten you, you will get a box before your NEXT birthday! ^_^

LOL Chris..... don't go to OKC unless I have to go to state office, which isn't much. And that will end Oct 1 when my job goes away. :-( Maybe you just need to make a trip to see me and we can BOTH go!

Fruity, my Dizzy hasn't bloomed yet. It is my last fragrent one to bloom. I hope it does soon.

I LOVE scentsy. I'd have to go look at the pkgs to see which ones I've picked out as favorites.

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Hey all.
Sorry to still be kinda AWOL. You wouldn't believe all the stuff that needs tending to here. And then to top it off I slept late this morning and now I feel like I am rushing around like a crazy person. Haven't had breakfast, haven't watered, etc. etc. No biggie. It will get done sometime in this lifetime, maybe.

I am so hooked on lilies. If anyone is doing a coop this Fall let me know. I'm in. I don't even know if I can wait that long. LOL!

A lot of hummers out here this morning. I am lovin' it. Well off to the races. Will try to be more involved in my own thread ladies.

This message was edited Jul 1, 2011 8:47 AM

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk

I'd be involved in a bulb coop for lilies too.

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Lily "Dizzy",and Lily 'Starlette', Lily "Dizzy",and Lily 'Starlette', Lily "Dizzy",and Lily 'Starlette', Lily "Dizzy",and Lily 'Starlette'
Wantum, wantum, wantum, sure hope my tantrum works.
Love & Hugs

Cranberry Ruffle

Thumbnail by dahtzu
Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Still have beautiful Daylilys blooming.

Daring Dilema 6 2011

Thumbnail by dahtzu
Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Hugs, sleep tight.

Francis Verheart 6 2011

Thumbnail by dahtzu

Is that Daylily "Spanish Fort", Neener? You know I'm usually wrong when I guess.

I hear you, Faye, and want more Lilies too.

Oriental Lily "Salmon Star" has just started to open her blooms and they are also fragrant. I've been watching Asiatic Lily "Double Sensation" for several days and thought surely they would have bloomed by now. Talk about anticipation.

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Oh Lordy Fruit Loop that lily looks like one you sent me that is trying to open. From what little I can see and smell of it I need, yes need, not want, NEED about 50 more of them. DH is in love with the lilies too which means I get to buy lots more!!! The lily in my pic above is from DJ9 and is marked Pristine Promise. It is fast becoming one of my favs. It's a stinky one too. :0) I just hope a few of these will hold on until Monday when my Mom gets here. She will go gaga over them.

Had this little critter out there this morning. A Pandora Sphinx Moth.

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Nita & Susan, here is a pic. of my Pristine Promise & Spanish Fort. No matter how many pictures I take, they all are different. I even Goggled to check out Lily's and they would have the same Daylily in different colors. I have no clue how a single lily can be in 2 or 3 different colors and still be the same Lily. Wow, I did rattle on, but do hope you understand what I was trying to say.

Thumbnail by dahtzu
Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

Received a beauty of a bday present from Di today. =D It came right before I left for work this morning so it had to wait until I went home. I received a very nice and appreciative box of Iris. All different ones.

Concertina
Double your fun
Savannah Sunset
Orange popsicle
Just Teasing
Diana Shore
Red Rider
Canned Heat
Afternoon Delight
Hot to Trot

Multiple of all (or most anyways). Thank you so much Di. I love them!

Thumbnail by momoftwo607
FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Faye that's the whole thing about the names that used to make me crazy when I did a lot of coleus. I've seen the same plant named 6 different things. I think that is why I got so lazy about tagging plants. Parts is parts as they say, As long as it is purdy...:0)

Pretty daylily and great box of iris. I have looked for the orange popsickle on e-bay. Is it really as orange as the name? I think I may of bought one that is orange, but it isn't that name.

I can't wait to get my new iris bed made so I can get my new iris planted. I've gotten quite a few, but I still want MORE! ^_^

I'm with you Char. I love coleus, but don't even try to keep the names straight. I admire anyone that can. lol

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

Daylily 'Nutmeg Spice' bloomed today. Love this one!

Thumbnail by momoftwo607

Tinker's Daylily database has great tools, Faye. If you don't know the exact name, but think you know part of it, you can plug that in the search box and receive several results. You can also search by color and a myriad of other options: http://db.tinkersgardens.com/

Great box of Iris, Erin, you lucky girl!

Forgot to say this is Daylily "Paris Overture" last week.

This message was edited Jul 2, 2011 8:10 PM

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

'Nutmeg Spice' Another one to add to mywanna list!

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks Susan. Even my tagged lily's are confusing when they are shown in more than one color. "Paris Overture" is beautiful.

Susan, thank you for this beauty. All those you so generously gave me at the RU have bloomed and I have been happy with each of them. All so pretty.

Thumbnail by dahtzu
FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Ladies dear Christine has asked to be removed. She just feels she can't participate financially the way she would want to. I know this is always an issue for everyone. I would let this whole thing go, but I would die if I lost track of you all and I'm just trying to hold this all together. So much sickness and sorrow in the world. Can we just stop the world, I want to get off. :))

(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Sorry to see her go :( We have such generous ladies on this and I understand about participating "the way she would want to". Why do we have such a hard time with the idea that it's ok to not send a dozen items? :)

And don't you dare let this club go by the wayside.. I enjoy it way too much :)

I do hope that Christine will stay on here and at least chat with us!!

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

That's the way feel I Chris. I am blessed to be able to do this right now. I've been where she is though and I remember well. I really think one of these days I'm just going to make it a padded envelope deal. Whatever you can get in one of those puppies is all you can send. :))

Hate to see Christine go. I love the horse prints she sent to me for my birthday! I haven't sent hers yet (I'm so behind!) but am going to. I do wish she would hang around with us, even if she does not want to participate in the swaps.

Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi, all.
Finally getting a chance to catch up. Been crocheting, gardening, catching up on housework, etc. Still have gardening to do, but it's too hot out this afternoon. Might be able to do some more this evening.
I, too, Hope that Christina can join us from time to time even if she can't do the swap part for now.
Wow, all those lilies and daylilies and other pretty flowers sound beautiful! And, so many are fragrant, too!
Hey, Fruity, my Brunnera from Bluestone seems to be doing nicely. Looks like it recovered from traveling well. Finally got it and my other plants from Bluestone transplanted. Hopefully they won't mind this heat wave. Got them transplanted just before it came. Probably not the best timing for transplanting, but I wanted them to have a larger pot so their soil wouldn't dry out so quickly.
Discovered that my Daylily Wineberry Candy has buds! Just got it this spring, so I'm eagerly awaiting its blooming :)
Well, you all take care and stay cool!
Michelle

My Dizzy is blooming and smell so good. I only have my Salmon Star that hasn't bloomed but has big buds on it

Thumbnail by Crit

That's good to know about your Brunnera, Michelle. What kinds of items do you crochet? I knit a bit, mostly afghans and sweaters for my Yorkie in the Winter, but never got the hang of crocheting, although one of my Aunts was a master and she tried her best to teach me how. Some of her work was incredibly fine and delicate.

Christina, We love you and your youthful spirit, not to mention your quirky sense of humor and beautiful pics. Please stay :) Or at least stop in to chat, OK? This is the only place you and I have in common and really don't want to lose touch with you.

The padded envy deal sounds good to me, Neener, whenever you decide to add it to your guidelines.

To me, this isn't a Club, but is more of a Group...you're all Dear Friends and my extended family through smooth sailing and tough times.

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Well said Fruitcake. I think we will change it to the padded envy thing. Gotta run right now since Mom is on the way down and I still have some of her birthday presents to hide and wrap yet. :)) Nothing like waiting until the last minute eh??

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.