Japanese Beetles - How do you get rid of them

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

I have a friend who lives in Northern Michigan, probably zone 4 or possible 5 who has an infestation of Japanese Beetles. Short of picking them off one by one, does anyone have any suggestions on how to rid them besides buying a product. Maybe a home made remedy???

Thanks

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I too am plagued with J.B. From my research, there's not much out there that get them. I have read Robins and Grackles will eat the grubs but nothing gets the adults.
I have read Milky Spore and Beneficial Nematodes spread on the lawn and garden eats the grubs.
I will have 20 on one rose bloom. It's gross.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Sevin spray worked for me years ago. Killed them instantly.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

But, doesn't it harm the birds? I may have to do this. I wish I could figure out a way to protect the birds.

Batavia, IL

Japanese beetles are adult grubs. I spread grub killer in my yard every May...no grubs, no beetles.

This message was edited Jul 16, 2011 12:04 PM

Sevierville, TN(Zone 7a)

Check this thread toward the top of the discussion There is a lady with the same problem in NJ Lots of advice in there

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I miss them riding my motorcycle home late at night, the joy of them crawling on me with my window open late at night, the buzz of them around the light outside my window. Ahh the joy of living in Michigan in my childhood. Montana has none.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

bigdaddie: I am not sure what "thread" you are talking about?

Madison, WI(Zone 5a)

After battling them for about 8 years now I've come to the conclusion that plucking/flicking them into a bucket of soapy water, while disgusting, works the best. Treating the lawn helps in some instances, but if you live near a school or golf course or park (any place with an expanse of grass) there's a good chance the beetles are flying in from there. I have the misfortune of living 3 blocks from a city golf course.

Neem oil products kill them on contact and make the plants less tasty, but if a Japanese Beetle is really hungry, pretty much nothing will stop it. The closest solution I've found is anything with imidacloprid in it (e.g. Bayer All-in-One Rose and Flower Care). You can apply it as a systemic in the spring and it lasts about 6 weeks. I don't like using chemicals, but it's the only thing that prevents my roses from being stripped bare. Plants don't draw chemicals into their flowers so the beetles will still congregate on the blossoms, but they'll leave the foliage alone.

Tell your friend to avoid the Japanese Beetle traps that are for sale. They lure the beetles with pheromones, but those pheromones will attract every beetle in the neighborhood to your yard and make the situation worse, not better.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Long term, Milky Spore (I got a serious reduction the summer after putting it down, which I did in August). The reduction was about 80%. In the interim, I heartily agree with the suggestion of Bayer All-in-One Rose and Flower care. The combination of the two just about wiped them out altogether, while leaving my bees, butterflies and hummingbirds alone. Between the two, I have achieved a 90%+ reduction. Thank goodness!

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

soferdig

ROFLMAO!

deann in Michigan

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I talked with the guy at the local garden center. He said it was too late for systemics to work this year. By the time it was in the leaves, the bugs would be buried in the ground. I can't believe it doesn't go to the buds. Bummer! That is where the JB are the very worse.
I have Neem oil. Do you have any idea what the ratio of neem oil is or do you put it on straight? I can do a little research on the computer.

Madison, WI(Zone 5a)

I think the Neem oil ratio can vary depending on the purpose. I used some on gypsy moth larvae (another "lovely" pest) a few years ago, but I don't remember what ratio I used.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I will do some research.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If the neem came in a spray bottle then it's ready to use as-is. But if it's a concentrate, it's meant to be diluted and the package should give you instructions on how much to dilute it.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks ecrane. It's in a bottle, so needs to be diluted. The Japanese Beetle season is once again about over. We are surely going to lay down milky spore this month.

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Going thru my garden this morning, I seen a Bee, munching on a Japanese Beetle. Swelled the cockles of my heart....Bon Appetite!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

No Kidding!! That is great!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.