Indian Pipe

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

I found this last weekend on our NW Pennsylvania property.I have been told it is a wild;ower. It is a pretty neat plant and not often seen. I know it likes damp leaves & woods, but other than that know very little about it

Thought folks would enjoy seeing it,

This message was edited Jul 8, 2011 6:37 AM

Thumbnail by philljm
Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Very cool. Thanks for the pic.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Beautiful! I wish they grew here. :-(

Craig Co., VA(Zone 7a)

Quote from killdawabbit :
Beautiful! I wish they grew here. :-(

They should, take a walk in the woods, you'll find them.

This message was edited Jun 30, 2011 12:46 PM

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

I don't have woods like that, believe me. I wish I did. I am working on it though with over a hundred oak trees planted. :-O

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

This was actually growing in the front yard of our cottage. Not woods, but a lot of very ancient maples, and rotting, damp leaves on the ground. I guess you would call it "old growth" area ~j

Bar Harbor, ME

Looks like Monotropa uniflora, a saprophytic perennial related to azaleas and rhododendrons. It's white because it contains no chlorophyl.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Yes, and it has a reputation of being almost impossible to propagate. :-(

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

It's my understanding that a certain insect has to fertilize it - at least that is what I have been told.

I have seen this occasionally over the past several years on our property.

had no clue it was related to azaleas & rhododendums. Wow! Am surprised. Saphrophytic makes sense, Thanks! ~j

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

I found seeds on eBay but I hesitate to try them. I don't think I would have any success.

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

Really? Goodness, one can find anything on Ebay! ~Jan

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Yep. I was surprised to find them myself.
They were about 3.00 if I remember correctly. I guess I could throw them near my rhododendrons, wintergreen and azaleas. I thinkI may try it. Maybe the other Ericaceaes would have the same fungus needed for the Indian Pipe?

This message was edited Jul 2, 2011 10:35 PM

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks for sharing the photo. This is one thing I'd love to have in my shady garden, but, alas, it doesn't sound like it would work so I'll have to appreciate them through pictures . . .

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

Make sure those seeds have rotting leaves

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Rotting oak leaves I do have. :-D
I purchased the seeds a couple hours ago.

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

Make sure you let us know what happens. I am curious what you have. But that is really cool that you were able to purchase seeds! ~j

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

I plan to update this thread with my results or lack thereof. I tagged it.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Beautiful!
I'd love to have these in my forest

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

They might be there, the plant being white, and small, they are easy to miss. Once you see one, you know what to look for. This one was growing in the front yard of our cottage near an ancient maple tree. There is a lot of moss growing there, so the grass doesn't get cut & it is dappled shade. Obviously we don't rake the leaves either. I have also seen them growing along the road leading to the cottage along the bank of a river (high above the river though) I have only seen them in June, because that is the month I am up there. ~jan

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

I received my seeds from Darcyoftheforest. 200 seeds. I planted them near Kalmia Nathan Hale. It's an area that isn't heavily covered with leaves but should still have the mycorrhizal fungi required for germination. I didn't water them in but figured it would be best to let the rain do that job.
Any comments?

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

200 seeds? wow! It will be interesting to see how they do. ~Jan

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

That's a lot of seeds! Probably due to difficulty germinating? did you spread them all in the same area or did you try different spots?Please update on your progress!

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

I spread them as broadly as I could in that one area. They were like pollen grains. I will keep this thread updated but who knows how long it will take to see them even if they do germinate. Fingers crossed. :-p

Craig Co., VA(Zone 7a)

Here is a grouping we saw today in a walk in our woods. They are coming up all over the place.

Thumbnail by NativeVA
Craig Co., VA(Zone 7a)

And this one too. Pinesap or Monotropa hypopitys a cousin of the Indian Pipe

Thumbnail by NativeVA
Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

You are a lucky dog, NativeVA. :-)

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

Very cool NativeVA - aren't they just the neatest things to see? ~Jan

Craig Co., VA(Zone 7a)

Yes, around our neck of the woods the Pinesap is pretty rare. Probably 5000+ Indian Pipes for every Pinesap. We practically trip over the Indian Pipes there are so many. The Pinesap gives its self away by the yellow tint and different flower.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Oh, my! Where am I going to get seeds for Pinesap?!? Someone rescue me.

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

Pinesap is a new one to me. I will have to watch for it too ~j

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

Great articles! Thanks for posting the links

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Sure!

Sault Ste. Marie, Canada

Been seeing lots popping throughout July - pretty cool plant - most folks think it is a fungus - and rightfully so as it has no chlorophyll - I think there are fungus (mycorrhizae) associated with their roots that connect to roots of "green" plants and thus get a food source thru this intricate connection - nature never fails to amaze me! Would be interested in hearing if anyone has success with growing them from seeds - I suspect you would need soil from an area with them to ensure the fungal/root relationship could develop.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

I'm wondering what the seeds even look like! I've been thinking of trying to get some, but not sure how they'd grow here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.