Spider Mite Invasion on over an acre of landscaping - Help!

Longmont, CO(Zone 5a)

I am ripping my hair out trying to stop an epidemic of spider mites. My gardens cover about an acre and I'm finding infestations all over. I spent two hours last night trying to high pressure hose all the beds and then used insect killer on the worst spots. I'm afraid that I'm going to lose this battle as the area I am trying to cover is so huge.

Has anyone had the problem on this large a scale? Does anyone have any ideas on how to beat this infestation? Help!

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

I have a large Juniper that was hit by SMs years ago. I hosed them forcefully. But I did it several times for a few days. They eventually disappeared. I think you are on the right track spraying them with water but it may take several times.
And 1 acre? Ouch, you'd probably have to spend all your time doing it. I hope someone else recommends a better way.
How old is your garden? As it matures and things balance out beneficials should take over the job.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

You might want to order in some Mite predators to keep the numbers in check. Here's a list of a few: http://www.growercentral.com/index.cfm?trackerID=4050&siteAction=showCatalogue&CFID=6137361&CFTOKEN=50784000

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Looking through that list, Stethorus punctillum & Phytoseiulus persimilis look like a good combo.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.