sheaths

Tucson, AZ

hello. does anyone have pics of emerging cattleya sheaths that they can share. i have this one. i don't know if this was caused by water sitting in the leaf fold. the demarcation had not advanced for many days as the sheath continued to emerge. now the sheath is yellowing below the demarcation. i grow these in a bedroom. they get misted occasionally but mostly they get moisture when i water them.

thanks for posting the pics if there are any available.

Thumbnail by tucsonplumeriaz
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

tucsonplumeriaz, That doesn't look good! I have a couple of laelias in sheath, but the only "for sure" Catt. is C. dowiana that I recieved last week. It now has 3 buds showing.

Thumbnail by OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

I found this article while researching my C. dowiana, and while this is a species, it would seem to apply. http://www.chadwickorchids.com/dowiana scroll down to the culture info from this grower.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

If the sheath is empty. aka, no bud, I'd cut it out well below the brown point. The sheath is there to protect the buds in the wild and not necessary to the development of the bud.

north coast nsw, Australia

occarel that orchid looks dry with shrivalled bulbs. The black looks like rot.

Tucson, AZ

thanks OCCAROL for the link and for the that tip MaypopLaurel.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Bree, everything I've read about C. dowiana says they have ridged psuedo bulbs. There's no black on mine, but if you meant the sheath on tucsonplumeriaz' plant, I agree that it looks like rot.

I love this orchid.
Yes i ment the black on tucson's orchid. Can't wait to see your Dowiana flowers.

This message was edited Jun 30, 2011 4:48 PM

Thumbnail by breeindy
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Soon! It has 3 buds, and I go out and talk to it several times a day.

Houston, TX

I have a really big orchid that previously bloomed twice yearly. Then winter 2010 Houston had a really bad freeze and the orchid had some damage. I trimmed it, took care of it and it gave me one bloom. I was happy for that. This year it has put out numerous beautiful new stalks and sent up sheaths THAT ARE ALL EMPTY. We have had a really hot and dry spring summer. Possibly the heat has interfered. Anyone have any thoughts about this?
Thanks. Kat

Thumbnail by Kat60

Spring blooming Cattleyas will not initiate buds in high nighttime temperatures. They need temps around sixty at night. Your next bloom cycle will probably be cooler and they should put on a show then. I have a problem with this too because we have such fluctuating temperatures in Spring. Your specimen is beautiful. Oftentimes an older specimen does better when divided, especially after being damaged. It rejuvenates the plant and forces new growth from the old pseudobulbs. That one will be a BIG job. lol
Laurel

Houston, TX

Thanks for your response Laurel. I know it needs dividing but I am terrified of doing it! I took it to a shop that sells lots of orchids and asked it they would do it and they too were terrified. Any suggestions. I've never taken one this big apart. Yegads!

At first I was stymied and then hit on an idea. http://houstonorchidsociety.org/ Contact them. I see they have a newbie group. Even if you aren't the joining type you will easily find an experienced member who will help. Orchid people are just that way. They will advise you on how many splits should be made, proper replacement baskets and potting materials. In return you should offer a share of your plant at the time you ask for assistance. It will either stay in that person's hands or maybe go to the monthly raffle that helps raise money for the society. Good luck.

Houston, TX

Great idea!
thanks will do

Houston, TX

Yes! about pics of a cattleya sheath! Will take it and post tomorrow. Update on my "empty sheaths". Some are empty and some aren't! Or maybe all of them will eventually decide to send up a flower! We have had the worst heat and no rain in Houston this year. I suspect that is why my orchid is slowing production. But, I am watching it like a hawk. When I discovered s stem and buds in a sheath I was so excited! So will post pic tomorrow.

Good news, Kat. Waiting for photos.

Houston, TX

Well this morning I ran out and took pics and posted them. WHERE ARE THEY?

I'll try again!

Here you see one cattleya stalk with two leaves. They all come this way! Then the sheath comes up between the two leaves. Notice at the bottom of this sheath you see a shadow. That is the beginning of a stalk with flower buds on it!!!!

Thumbnail by Kat60
Houston, TX

Oh Goodie. It worked this time! Now another pic. Here you see twoo stalks with two leaves each with a sheath in the middle.

Thumbnail by Kat60
Houston, TX

This pic is sideways. I checked it on Picasa and it is right up. Who gets any of this? In any case, here you see a really big sheath between two leaves with a really big dark spot which is a flower stalk with some really fat flower buds on it! Just below it you can see another, smaller sheath with a small shadow in it. Another flower! This second one is shaded.

Thumbnail by Kat60
Houston, TX

On this sheath you can see several little black spots. I don't know what they are or what caused them, but I think they are probably evil. I will keep an eye on this sheath and will send other photos to see what happens to it.

BTW this is a very big orchid that hangs in a River Birtch tree in my front yard. It lives there 24/7/365 unless we get a long hard freeze. Then it comes in the house.

Hope this helps.

Thumbnail by Kat60

Looks great. Be sure to post the blooms on the monthly thread. More folks look there.

Tucson, AZ

wow! that is so beautiful kat. thanks for posting the pics. oh, to be able to grow orchids outside.

wow thats one big orchid Kat. I'd divide it into a few plants. Looks like its getting squashed in that pot.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.