Best Re-Blooming Clematis

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I purchased a Clematis "Rosemoor" in the Bluestone Perennials clearance sale and it has been blooming nonstop since I planted it! I was wondering what other Clematis vines bloom on new growth like this. I don't like the way most of the vines bloom and then have no blooms until the following year. I want to purchase more of these repeat bloomers. I'm really impressed with this vine!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I don't have an answer for you but I will stay tuned to hear of other reblooming clematis. It would be nice to have them for longer than two or three weeks.

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I would like one that blooms longer too.

Pembroke, MA(Zone 6a)

Do you have it in sun? I have had a Rosemoor for 4 years now and it has yet to thrive despite lots of sun and water and good soil and fertilizer. I have one bloom on mine this year. I used to have it on my lightpost, which gets glaring hot sun for most of the day, but it kept burning up. By "burn" I mean the leaves turn brown, shrivel up and drop off. I moved it to a corner that I consider less hot, but the same thing is happening to it again. I just cannot get it to thrive. Any suggestions on what I should do with it? I am about ready to dig it up and throw it in the trash.

Thanks,
Tracey

Thumbnail by tracey8165

That would be a shame.

I see the burnt leaves but not on the right side. Is it just one stem whose leaves burn up or the entire plant?

Would you consider planting it at the base of a Japanese maple, or other tree where it would get filtered sun?

Thumbnail by pirl
Pembroke, MA(Zone 6a)

It starts with just one stem, but by mid-summer most of the plant is burnt up, and the flower production is always very poor.The only trees I have in my yard are tall white pines and oaks, which I don't think would be suitable trees for growing a clematis. i suppose I should try moving it to part shade before I give up on it. I just looked at Bluestone Perennials. They have a Kilian Donahue that's suppose to bloom all summer long. Maybe I should try that in the spot where the Rosemoor is now.

I have mine in a more shady location. It likes the morning sun. I added lots of composted cow manure and some bone meal when I planted it. Bluestone also sent a fertilizer tablet with it. I wouldn't give up on it yet.

If you do move it I'd give it what echinaceamaniac does and put up some of the transparent vinyl for it to climb if you put it on a tree.

I wouldn't give up either.

Pembroke, MA(Zone 6a)

Ok. I am going to move it to part shade and give it some TLC. Hopefully it will revive and maybe next year live up to its potential. thanks all.

Good luck and please post to let us know how wonderful it is in part shade.

Harleysville, PA

I have jackimanii clematis and that blooms and blooms and blooms most the summer for me.

Thumbnail by jess2132000

Beautiful specimen, Jess.

It is the strongest performer I have and wish I had thought of it when echinaceamaniac first asked. One of those duh moments.

I just got that one yesterday! Yay. I hope mine is at least half as beautiful as that one!

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I have the same clematis planted in different areas of the yard and get very different results. My results are different in that same clematis when compared to it in my friends yard in the mid-west.

I think you hit it lucky, not owning that clematis, to have it bloom so perfectly. I have a Barbara Harrington that has been huge since it's first summer, planted in spring. Friends in the West couldn't believe it. Huge with massive blooms that lasted weeks - this year is #4 and it was small, healthy but didn't produce until very late. Comtesse de Bouchard was planted with Barbara H last year and they are the same size this year.

I have 2 John Huxtable clematis. The same age, same company, yet one is massive (4 x 12 or so) while the other is only 3 x 5.

When compared to friends in the Western U.S. we realize how different clematis work in my yard verses theirs without any difference in food/water/sun. See what does well for others in your area/zone. Just throwing out a new opinion.

I have favorites and some I don't like and wish I didn't buy - yet other people love that clematis. I can say the ONE clematis that drew the most attention from everyone visiting my yard this summer was Tye Dye. I've posted pictures on another clematis thread - kathy's clematis or shihtzumom's clematis. Bloomed weeks and is still blooming (I forget the date of the first blooms). It's something you don't normally see in the garden - tye dyed flowers.

I hope we find clematis that bloom for longer periods. I'm only 5 or so years into clematis so I'm learning but wanted to give you another view.
Kathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.