June 28th, 2011: Painted Tongue 'Royale Mix' (Salpiglossis sinuata) by dawndoll2

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

The Bloom of the Day for June 28th, 2011 was Painted Tongue 'Royale Mix' (Salpiglossis sinuata).

View the bloom of the day here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/botd.php?date=2011-06-28

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

just love them.. have not had luck growing them though.. always turn to mush on me

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Very pretty!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Another new flower to try and kill, um I mean grow;o) Lovley shot!

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Gorgeous flowers, excellent photography, congrats!
LOL, locakelly!

This message was edited Jun 28, 2011 12:44 PM

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I love how this one just jumps out at you! And it screams, WANT ME!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

In my case it's likely screaming please don't kill me!! LOL

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

mine too!!... please don't buy me and kill me!!!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL you two! I sure kill my share of plants too. Really hurts too esp if they are pristine when I bring them home, grown perfectly. That seems even more sinful then to do them in. Though I do prefer a fast death then those long drawn out ones that at the end the plant looks so pathetic you want it to die to put yourself out of your misery.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

the same nursery carried them 2 years in a row.. in early spring.. I put them in the GH until frost was gone.. one died before that happened and the other quickly died right after.. not sure what I am doing wrong with em.. just turn to mush.. I have seeds I am going to try next year.. determined I guess

:)

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I think sometimes they do better from seed. No shock when out of ideal growing conditions and no hormones have been used. I have been noticing when I buy the big bold bountiful baskets of blooming petunias, that they soon look terrible and struggling at home. Yet if I buy the same petunias in 6 packs or 4 inch, they take off and do great.

I think the growers must use all sorts of bad things to get them to be covered in blooms to sell fast and then the plant is exhausted to be forced into such exaggerated bloom and never recover and start to decline.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Quote from Kell :
I think the growers must use all sorts of bad things to get them to be covered in blooms to sell fast and then the plant is exhausted to be forced into such exaggerated bloom and never recover and start to decline.

That is exactly what I have heard...

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

thanks for the info!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.