Prickly Pear

Bar Harbor, ME

For the last 5 years, this Opuntia has grown well next to my foundation on the south side. I took this photo yesterday.

Thumbnail by Kenarden
Bar Harbor, ME

Today, this pink one that I got last year bloomed.

Thumbnail by Kenarden
Bar Harbor, ME

Many friends visit this part of my garden....

Thumbnail by Kenarden
Bar Harbor, ME

Even a little burrito dropped by once.

Thumbnail by Kenarden
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

You should add those to our blooms thread
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1192503/

and your friends to the garden decor thread
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1189302/

This message was edited Jun 27, 2011 10:57 PM

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

.. and while you're at it stop by the cactus forum and check them out!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/succulents/all/

Bar Harbor, ME

I seem to be mismanaging my threads. Oh no!

Thomaston, CT

Nice to see the cactus blooming.....who says Maine is too cold?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Don't worry about it, no hard and fast "rules", just trying to help since people may not see the individual thread

Cave Creek, AZ(Zone 9b)

I grow these guys in AZ never thought about them for Maine. Beautiful.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I wonder if it will make fruit?

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

very cool!!

Cave Creek, AZ(Zone 9b)

what do you have them planted in rocky sandy soil?

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Very nice, ken! I really like the pink one. The yellow one grows wild where I hike.

Bar Harbor, ME

sonoranpoet,

They're planted in that soil because they'd require a sharply drained soil to live up here. Often times something can be entirely hardy to an area but if the plant doesn't receive the right growing conditions, not just light but also soil+/or wind protection, it faisl.

Cave Creek, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi Ken, yes that's what it looked like but wanted to be sure. I add a cactus mix to my stuff in AZ also...depending on the soil texture when I start them even in AZ.

Bar Harbor, ME

I dunno what to call this color but it opened up over the weekend.

Thumbnail by Kenarden
Bar Harbor, ME

Come on up and see the garden I work at. It's on tour through the Bar Harbor Garden Club.

Thumbnail by Kenarden
Thomaston, CT

Wow...gorgeous color! Going to be in Maine Sunday-Tuesday, but cannot get up that far north....staying in Kennebunk....

Cave Creek, AZ(Zone 9b)

I'm just 2 towns South of that Robin...check out Wallingford Farm in Kennebunk (I used to run their landscaping program...now I consult for them...pretty place) Kim's the person to ask for if you have questions.
I'm headed back to AZ for 7 weeks

Thomaston, CT

Have been to Wallingford Farm many times....I must say I love the candy! Hot time to head back to AZ....you'll miss the ocean breeze!

Cave Creek, AZ(Zone 9b)

Robin, that's funny...maybe our paths have crossed :)
They don't do the candy anymore...though they are putting together a new food section...regional stuff and will probably bring back some of it. I had breakfast w/ Charles the owner the other day and it looks like they are a month away from it being finished. Yes, not the best time to be in AZ but rent the place in end July and August (keeps my kids in college tuition :) ) and let's me get the inside chores in AZ done....cuz they sure don't get done when it's perfect fall/winter weather there.

Thomaston, CT

Glad they are putting in a food section...I might stop if I go back in Sept. or Oct. Depends on how much money I have left for kenneling the dogs.....

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Sonora, your other home is in Az.? My brother was born and raised in Waterville, Maine but now lives near Cliffton Az.. :)

Cave Creek, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yes, I'm in Cave Creek. I think your brother is pretty close to the New Mexico border isn't he? I've got the best of both worlds no complaints.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Yes, he's near Tombstone Az.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Yes you do!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.