yellow wildflower - june - great lakes region

rhinelander, WI(Zone 4a)

there is a yellow wildflower all over northern illinois and southern wisconsin -- it is lower growing than
dandelion shorter than camphor weed , has numerous tufts of yellow flowers filling the view with yellow -
where lakehurst mall was torn down leaving an open field it is filled with this flower ground cover - the
plant itself is less than a foot tall ? any idea what it is called ? help me and a friend answer this
as we love to know the names of plants and animals .

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Can you get some pictures? Or if you can't get some pictures, a description of the flower shape and the leaves would be helpful.

rhinelander, WI(Zone 4a)

they look like dandelions from a distance but up close they are little round fluffy balls of yellow

Minneapolis, MN

Maybe yarrow?
http://www.laspilitas.com/nature-of-california/plants/eriophyllum-staechadifolium-artemisiaefolium

I see yarrow all over northern MN; I believe it is considered an invasive pest.

Teresa

rhinelander, WI(Zone 4a)

actually looking closer -- it is yellow vetch -- nitrogen fixing so it over competes cause it makes
its own nitrogen, thanks

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Still think a pix would be nice. I Googled Yellow Vetch and got nowhere.

rhinelander, WI(Zone 4a)

i also saw lots of yellow yarrow -- why is so much of it yellow and not white ?
the yellow vetch plant is vicia grandiflora

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

I would definitely like to see pics of the yellow vetch you saw. And I would like to know more about it. It might be perfect for some waste places I haven't gotten around to cultivating yet.

rhinelander, WI(Zone 4a)

i recommend hairy vetch as a cover crop -- it is also nitrogen-fixing

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.