Fungus? under soil in my flowerbed.

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8b)

I seem to have a white fungus (?) growing under the dirt of my flower bed. What is it and how do I rid the bed of it? It does seem to zap the life out plants and make them not thrive. We have red clay soil and I am in Georgetown TX.

Thumbnail by cmooreblessed
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't think the fungus is hurting your plants--it's just a sign that things are on the wet side. Wet clay soil is not something that many plants are going to enjoy, so I suspect it's wet poor draining soil that's making your plants do poorly.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I had horrible clay soil over hardpan when I bought my home. The solution to it is compost. Try to find an inexpensive source of finished compost and put as much down as you can, twice a year. It will change the structure of your soil completely, and vastly expand what you can grow successfully. And put in all new plants with 50% compost. My soil has turned to gold over the years.

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8b)

Thank you both!!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Wow. So, where would you find an "inexpensive source for compost"?

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Mine actually comes from an organic farm nearby. We give them yard clippings and we get to take compost. The best quality commercial "composted manure" I have found is at Ace Hardware. $1.99 a bag and really excellent! If that's the price in the bog old expensive Chicago area, I'll bet you can get it for less there.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

In my gardens, a bag doesn't go very far, but it is excellent stuff. I have used peat moss to loosen up soil in our area.

Olympia, WA

About fungal hyphae threads - they are generally not a problem of any sort. They are the "eating phase" of what will later appear as a spore producing mushroom. They form a very significant role in the decomposition of organic matter in the soil. I know, some folks get all freaked out when the fruiting body mushroom appears, but their stay is short lived.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

It just looks bad!

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8b)

I have since figured out that this is Scleritinia, which does kill the plants. I am trying to figure out where to buy Contans WG in Georgetown or nearby. I sent an email to the company and they did not respond in the last 2 weeks. Anyone know?

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Look for a commercial greenhouse, landscape or farm supply store, they usually sell retail but may have a minimum purchase requirement. Down here we have Kinney Bonded and Ewing. Both have a good selection of chemicals. Some chemicals sold in these stores are restricted and require a license to use.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

cmore: I feel for you. It must be a real headache. I could find nothing for a resource. How did you determine the fungus?

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8b)

Lots of research and duduction. It started in a plot I was attempting to grow some cruciferous vegetables which did not grow. They are a host for the mold. We live on previous farmland and are surrounded by it. It just fit all the marking for Sclerotinia and looks like it. Im not even sure the Contans works from what Ive read. Im just going the faith and prayer route now. :) God will bless my land. Thanks for the post. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.