2011 Peonies Part V

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Never tried this before !

I will add the link in a moment- I forgot to copy it!

We came from here:http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1185061/

This message was edited Jun 26, 2011 4:19 PM

Sorry I forgot to put in a pic!

This message was edited Jun 26, 2011 4:23 PM

(Debra) Garland, TX

Thank you. :-)

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Wonderful, Carol!

Please, everyone who has come from Peony IV. There are some magnificent pictures at the bottom of the Peony IV thread. Lovely things from our northern growers. Please make sure you have a look!

This message was edited Jun 26, 2011 6:00 PM

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

I have a new one of my fern leaf. I like the angle because it shows the crimson rose colors. Not just plain red. Only two buds this year. Bummer. You can see the other one in the background

Thumbnail by Oberon46

Drat! wrong one. This is the one I meant to send.

Thumbnail by Oberon46
East Dover, VT(Zone 4b)

I really really want a fern leaf! My favorite Vermont supplier had some but they were not happy, it has been so wet here this spring! I may actually have to order one. All of my plants have come from fall potted plants. Mstella, I have about 70 peonies all together, about 45 different ones, so far all herbaceous. My one tree peony died its second year but I think it was mistreated in transit (only one I ever bought not in a pot!).
Here is a Lotus Queen. Apparently I have two of them. When I started planting peonies it was because my wife (who is Chinese) liked them. Now I'm the one who want more and more:-)

This message was edited Jun 26, 2011 9:18 PM

Thumbnail by okcrow
East Dover, VT(Zone 4b)

This is a noid that came with the Inn. I think this is a side bud but it is very white, very floriferous and fragrant. (If floriferous is a word) Does anyone recognize it?

Thumbnail by okcrow
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, lovely everyone!

Okcrow - now there's a man who knows how to treat his wife! It's so wonderful that you absorbed her hobby and took it to new heights.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Yay for the early reds. What is the yellow perennial, mstella? I love the combination.

And, okcrow, every time I see a picture of Lotus Queen, I know I want to find a home for one in my white garden. You are fortunate to have two of these beauties! Your Inn must be spectacular with the many peonies all abloom, and your wife must love having them to enjoy with your guests.

East Dover, VT(Zone 4b)

My wife likes to bring some in and put them in a bowl on our desk making the whole Inn smell like Peony! So I need to grow enough so we can bring in all we want and still have plenty for the guests to look at in the garden. Nippon Beauty bloomed today. I think Vivid rose and one noid in the wedding garden are the only ones with real buds that haven't bloomed yet.

Thumbnail by okcrow
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

okcrow how lovely. Your wife and you are smart. For whatever reason it never occurred to me to bring peonies into the house. Some of my peonies are blooming a month behind of schedule and I was able to cut some Ann Cousins and bring them in.

Please tell us about your inn! I've stayed in B&B's in Maine and Vermont (Purity Springs, years ago) and I think New England is just about the most beautiful area in the country. How lucky your guests are. And tell us, please, about the wedding garden!

(Debra) Garland, TX

Even better, post a photograph or two of the wedding garden. Please? :-)

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Yes! Please?

East Dover, VT(Zone 4b)

I've been paying so much attention to the peonies I haven't taken a lot of pictures of the wedding garden! If you are on facebook you can see a lot of pictures at Cooper Hill Inn or on our website www.cooperhillinn.com. Here's a picture from Memorial Day when the creeping phlox was nice.

Thumbnail by okcrow
East Dover, VT(Zone 4b)

Here's one taken Last week of the brides left as she walks down the steps.

Thumbnail by okcrow
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, so beautiful. And I love the slideshow on your site. What a beautiful place. It has a very bed and breakfast flavor.

And paying attention to the peonies is no crime!

East Dover, VT(Zone 4b)

Here's one from a wedding a couple years ago. A Groomsman and a Bride's Maid coming down the steps into the garden More plants have been added.

Thumbnail by okcrow
East Dover, VT(Zone 4b)

And one more looking from the top down

Thumbnail by okcrow
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Okrow, your garden is beautiful. What a great setting for weddings. The couples must be so proud to start their lives in such a wonderful environment.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

And the peonies are gorgeous.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

What a pleasure to have a lovely outdoor wedding, and peonies nearby too. Was the deep colored peony Auguste Dessert, or maybe karl rosenfeld? thanks for sharing the pics.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

NOID Pink - my very first peony, planted in 1989.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

The whole NOID pink

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh Carol, it's just luscious. What a stunning color contrast - it's bright yet warm at the same time.

I love it when people show us the flower and then the whole plant. It's nice to see the structure and the form.

East Dover, VT(Zone 4b)

Beautiful Carol! I am counting on you to keep us in peony pictures as mine go bye:-) (Does anyone grow peonies in New Zealand?) I still have a couple coming in the wedding garden and as i was embarrassed that I didn't have any new pictures i went out and took some today. Hope you like them.

This message was edited Jun 28, 2011 4:52 PM

Thumbnail by okcrow
East Dover, VT(Zone 4b)

Here is one from the garden looking up at the Inn

Thumbnail by okcrow
East Dover, VT(Zone 4b)

Most of the peonies in the wedding garden are old ones. Maybe someone will recognize them and give me a name:-) This Pink.

Thumbnail by okcrow
East Dover, VT(Zone 4b)

And this is Dark Pink:-)

Thumbnail by okcrow
East Dover, VT(Zone 4b)

The dark red is indeed a KR although there is a Kansas in there somewhere as well. I think the one off in the distance is Kansas.

Thumbnail by okcrow
Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Beautiful. I love the way KR lives well along side of the pinks. Hope to see more of your pics.
And I love Carol's pink peonies too.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Could the peony in post 376 be a Sara Bernhardt?

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

The pinks are luscious. They do very much have an old fashioned look. I'd love to own them both!

East Dover, VT(Zone 4b)

After looking at pictures I think you are right and its a Sarah Bernhart. Which means that the other two that I thought were SBs are not so I still have the same number of noids! Here is a picture of the Nippon Beauty plant (and a couple of others) to go with the closeup from yesterday.

Thumbnail by okcrow
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm so glad you mentioned your inn. I just love the pictures. What is the red?

East Dover, VT(Zone 4b)

In the above picture it starts with a Krinkled While in the bottom right. Moving clockwise is Martha W who is fading but has lovely color. Then three Nippon Beauties, was supposed to be two but serendipity put the mistake together with the other two. Then Largo, a very nice pink, the last of Silver Shell which is a tremendous peony, highly recommend it, then Hit Parade and way at the end is Westerner.

Here they are from below looking up at the back of the Inn

Thumbnail by okcrow

what is the approximate size of the bushes? Height and width?

(Debra) Garland, TX

what a gorgeous perspective. love that rock wall, too

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Gay Paree is out today.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

This is Firelight previously posted on 25 June.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

This is Firelight today 29 June.
It has faded to a light pink with deep pink stripes inside.

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.