Summer Containers Garden 2011

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

This is a continuation of last thread on spring to summer containers gardening in zone 7b. Please join in and share your idea, thought ect. We came from here if you like to go back and visit. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1188992/

I've added several different perennials and annual vines to the arbor for added summer interest. Birds too love to come to the garden so I've hung a grain feeder here.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

OT, this isn't container grown, a newly added perennial coneflower to the garden. The blooms are bright and cheerful, so I thought I'll add it here.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

A different flowers that sort of explain my screen name ^_^ for I so love Lily;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

One of the containers with annual Sunflower;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Cannas gives the area a 'tropical' ambien.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Other containers-- to the right there is another canna which sent out its first bloom, this one is yellow with speckles. These cannas are also hardy here (zone 7b). At the end of the growing season, I simply cut the talks stalks down to the soil level, turn the container upside down. Then the following spring I just turn the pots side up and resume water and fertilizer, viola. Early summer they cheerfully reward the gardener with beauty.

This message was edited Jun 26, 2011 4:37 PM

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Blue Butterfly plants (Cledrodendron blue) Million Bells and Sunflower;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

A corner of the 'tropical garden'.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Lotus and Gloriosa lilies blossoms.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

More blooms;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The Nana's are reported to be the smallest hosta. I will try for a photo with refrence point when the dun is up

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Here's Nana with coffee spoon.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

That's supper cool! Jo Ann. To show case demunitives, miniature tinsy tinies blooms. Here are some of them.

#1 Species butterfly bush. May I add regular hybrid BB's flowers are bigger than this typical inflorescent.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Painter's Pellets, very intricate flowering wands with bright red color.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Duranta charming blue blooms. Small, but not very very small. I'll return this evening with more tiny little darling blossoms. Such as 'Jewels of Opra' and others. Got to run for now. Have a good day in the garden everyone.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I'm late in returning, but here is 'Jewels of Opra' as promised. I hope you can see how the tiny flowers and seeds are loveable.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Another view;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

just beautiful. I love how small a delicate they look.

Jan

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

One nice thing about them, they do reseed.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm gonna have to look around for that one...

Jan

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Jan, those plants can sometime be found at local box stores.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

I love the Jewel's of Opar, but be careful here in the south.. I have them everywhere, and I mean everywhere, lol.. I love them because the were a gift plant from my grandmother over 35 years ago..I love your containers, they are beautiful..

Larkie

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Larkie, they're so delicate, even when they stray, they can only compliment other plantings. :)) I'm glad you've enjoyed the thread as well.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Sunflower complimented by durantas' blue flowers.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Lotus and Gloriosa lily;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

that lotus is incredible.... all your plants but seeing as how I'm admired lotus plants from afar that one really is catching my eye.

I took a stroll through your garden journal and just love the water feature you and your husband created, I'm sure your backs were breaking after that project.

Jan

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank you Jan. Hard work paid off...that afforded us many years of enjoyment. I'm glad you've visited.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I loved looking in on all your projects. A women after my own heart. Up north my garden buddies always came over to see what new project I was into...LOL

So your ws didn't seem to go as good as you thought??? I some last year and had over a 100 jugs, and oh my goodness, the plants were growing up out of the jugs before I could get them all transplanted...

Don't know if down here it is worth trying, but I might...

Thumbnail by meadowyck
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank you Jan. I've not done alot of winter sowing lately. But I need to try again soon. Love that flower, cosmos?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Here is an example how the demunitive 'Jewels of Opra' compliments other flowers. Here is Datura purpura.

This message was edited Jul 2, 2011 8:10 AM

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Mexican sunflower. One.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Two Mexican Sunflowers.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Plumeria in blooms. Very fragrant blossoms.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Not in container, lovely double bloom Echinaceas.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I planted one Artichoke in this container. A Petunia seedling volunteered in the pot and docorates the pot nicely.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Angel Trumpet -- container grown;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Verbena et al.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Alamanda 'Jubilee' and Thunbergia grandiflora among purple fountain grass.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

For added interests, I've planted some annual vines. Lakwa vines, its first few fruits;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

what is a Lakwa? can't find anything on google, I've never heard of this (which really isn't a surprise as since moving south I'm finding a lot of plants that I never heard of before...LOL). What does it taste like?

Jan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.