Strawberries & Raspberries /when to divide them

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I am running over in my small area that we built up for raspberries and strawberries. you can see by the picture below that they have jumped ship lol. I have surecrop strawberries and not sure of the brand of raspberries, I do know the raspberries are small and puney compared to last years crop cause their so full in there.

Just wanted to know when we can divide them both to make new beds for them.

strawberries here, raspberries below

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

here's the raspberries

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

here's my thornless blackberries planted last fall. we're picking them daily now. i just took cuttings, (not sure if it was the right time or not) but the cuttigns are doing excellent inspite of all this heat. Hope to have a larger batch of blackberries next year.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Buffalo, NY(Zone 5a)

I recieved some rasberry shoots this spring, planted them w/o incident. They have done nothing since, they haven't died back and haven't grown any. They look like healthy plants, I may have gotten them at the wrong time. So I too was wondering when rasberries should be divided.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 5a)

I can't believe there isn't someone out there that can answer this posted question but 12 can answer a song about bananas.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Well, i figured the best time to divide was early spring when the reaspberries first start coming out of the ground. at least that's when I'm going to divide them all.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 5a)

I thought spring was the right time but now I'm second guessing myself, as the plants have remained unchanged since April.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I would prune out the thinner rasberry canes and leave the thicker, stronger ones about a foot or more apart. If they are ever-bearing, if you water them well, you should get a Fall crop.

Greensburg, PA

Please do not prune out the thinner ones. Raspberry canes live two years then die. The smaller canes that emerged from the ground this year will bear fruit next year and die (true for ever bearing raspberries as well). Raspberries are constantly renewing themselves via this cycle. If you transplant them, you can disrupt the cycle a bit so you do not know what the age of the canes you have may be. The thicker canes may be the ones due to die. If you transplanted after the spring canes had started growing, you would expect to see no new canes during the summer and fall, so the plants would not grow much.

I expect to see new canes on my transplanted raspberries the year following the transplanting. As long as they stay alive and healthy, you should get new canes in the spring. If you do not have new canes in the spring, the plant will likely die with the 2nd year canes. I think it best to dig and transplant raspberries after the new canes have emerged in the spring. I prefer that since it tells me that the plant (with the new canes) will live through the winter to the next year. It is necessary to provide a bit more water for the transplants than normal for established plants. Having said that, I have successfully transplanted raspberries in the spring and summer, but have never tried to do it in the fall. I always make sure that the plants that are transplanted have new canes from this year.

I am not an expert but have had success with the above.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

thank you krowten. I haven't done any thinning out or transplanting, as some of them are dying off now. but I had no idea that the older canes would die off completely.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Hey Krowten, I got another question for you.

i have some blackberries, are they suppose to be cut back to the ground ever year? they are putting out an aweful lot of growth right now, lots and lots of new vines that are running amuck. someone mentioned that they are suppose to be cut back, is that true?

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I really think we did a bad thing intertwining the branches in the fence here. now it's going to be hard to cut away the dead canes. how do you recommend me growing the canes, as in the second picture you can see what the new growth is doing, I just got out there and wrapped all of the rest of the branches around the fence. which I probably shouldn't have, the canes were hanging all over the place and laying on the ground. I won't get blackberries if i cut these new canes back will I?

how can i fix my problem here.?

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

here's some of the canes that i haven't done anything with yet.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Buffalo, NY(Zone 5a)

So, answer me as if I was 8 y/o. Do I leave all of this years plant intact come fall and winter or do I prune back?

Greensburg, PA

Leave it alone until the second year, then prune out any dead canes each year. If the plants get too thick, you can dig up/dig out extra ones. If you have dead canes this year, you can safely remove them, but leave alone any canes that are not dead.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Well, i've been doing it all wrong then lol I've been cutting back my raspberries (not blackberries) every fall. they grow back and I get tons of raspberries off them the next year. I will do it like you said this year with the raspberries.

It's going to be hard for me to cut back the dead canes on the blackberries though, their all intertwined int he fence.

Greensburg, PA

Blackberries get different treatment than raspberries. For blackberries, you can increase production by "tipping" canes that are due to produce fruit. That involves cutting back the tips of the canes about 6-8" or so, which causes the cane to fruit more heavily.

If you have everbearing raspberries, some recommend that you mow down all canes at the end fo the year. That way, the only canes you have bearing are the canes that grow in the spring and they will fruit in the fall, the idea being that you will get a bigger fall crop by sacrificing the spring crop. It works for some, but when I tried it all I ended up with was a battle with the weeds and almost lost my berry patch. I now do not mow in the fall, instead getting two crops per year from my ever-bearers as described above. Kathy_ann, if its working for you, then I don't see any reason to change unless you have ever-bearers and want a crop of berries late June/early July in addition to the fall.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I don't have ever bearing raspberries, thanks Krowten.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.