Brugmansia Winter chat... part 2

Clifton Springs, Australia

The other thread was growing very quickly, so here is a new one.
We came from here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1189639/

This is Tantra again, but it is lovely.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

It is lovely Dianne thanks for that ...great contributions in the last thread, Winter is a good time to catch up on info and do some detective work ...speaking of which Columbo (Peter ) passed over, gosh there goes another one we grew up with.

I am hoping to get out into some Sun today, it's been a cold night but the day may be friendlier.
Some buds are still growing on a few of my Brugs despite Frost so this bloom starved gardener is hanging out to see them but in Winter they take ages to grow out of the Calyx and usually stay green for ages ...still :) it gives us something to watch for.

Merino, Australia

Lovely Dianne.
My brugs are still looking very green with only a few leaves yellowing. They seem to stand up better in the cold as they grow.
We havent had the severe cold and frosts like last year as yet. I hope we dont either.
My baby seedlings have grown over an inch since I moved them to the greenhouse.
Hubby, the dear man is going to help me with putting a few higher pieces of wood to raise the shadecloth so the taller brugs can still stay under it.
BB has pushed himself right up and looks out over the shadecloth. i am going to move the very large echium and cut a few shrubs back later in Spring , when its a bit warmer. Ssome of the big brugs will then go into the ground where they are and the smaller ones can stand around and chat under them.
I am disappointed with the progress of Pink Panther here It just grows enough for me to keep it around.
I feel that I will be doing some crossing with the German seeds as they eventually flower . They seem to grow best of all the seeds I have tried.
Must be cold weather hardiness in their genes.
Chrissy, I see that BB still has very large leaves. I though they may be smaller once he flowered .
GHA has large leaves when young but after he has flowered , they are much smaller.
Jean.

Colleen's lovely Riverland Frosty Pink, is always flushing, grew very easily from cuttings and is a pretty flower with a lovely perfume..
but ever since It has grown, it has had what looks to me like the mosaic virus, now I am only going by photos, because I hadn't seen the virus before.. so I keep it a distance from the others, just in case..because it seems to be there all the time.

When we were discussing GHA not growing well for Alistair, it made me think of this one...I don't think it has been determined if RFP and Frosty Pink are the same, but has anyone else had this problem with either of them?

If I am the only one that has, then I will have to figure out why...because it never seems to be totally free of it...and it's the only one.......
Here is a leaf with the problem...

Thumbnail by Seachanger
Merino, Australia

Dianne, I had similar on Mango Cornet, but it went away after a while and I have not seen it again on any.
I have Frosty but no sign of it and Colleens RFP hasnt shown any sign either.
Maybe its just a particular weather/ temp thing that triggers it.
Perhaps when the plants are younger and more vulnerable to things, then they may develop resistance as they grow.
I know my MC cutting was only about 3 months old and about 18"high at the time.
Jean.

I don't think it's anything sinister Dianne just a climate thing probably but I am no expert ...check the PH just to make sure it's ok.
As the soil cools the nutrients are not all available.
Sometimes white fly damage can leave that look but it's hard to tell from a picture.
I don't think I would worry too much about it, keep it apart from the others until the Spring growth comes on if you are concerned.

barmera, Australia

Dianne. re RFP. check for red spider mite. You'll be able to see little webs if it's them. Last year Brian had mites and got those predatory mites from the Loxton Research centre. They soon cleaned them up for him. I believe you can buy something called Malathion and spray with. A lot of my brugs have mottly leaves but as Chrissy said I think that is a weather thing. Winter varigation. Alistair did say once that all the brugs carry the virus but it doesn't show in them all and it doesn't harm the growth or the flowers. Colleen

Thanks, Colleen and Chrissy. it really is a puzzle..
Ph is similar to others in pots and bugs of any sort not a problem...
I would love to say it's the weather, but it's been almost a year.
What I might try is to put one of them in the ground...they might be more inclined to mottle when they are in the pot.....that way I will know for sure...
So I will plant one out in Spring....I will post the results when I can see a difference.
Dianne

Merino, Australia

Dianne, in regard to the suggestion of malathion spray, I would be very careful with this. In fact I think it has been banned in most states. Aside from the fact that it stinks, it can be deadly to all the insects around , good & bad.
I use white oil or simply water with a little eucalyptus oil . add a smidgeon of detergent to make it stick to the leaves.
I get spider mite every year on a few brugs, especially FP , Zabaglione and Elfin Pink.
I have found that the eucalyptus oil/water or white oil seems to work over a few days applications. The mites here come out int he warm weather. Nothing seen in the cold.
I have a touch of chlorosis ? on a couple of the brugs, which I think is due to the lack of nutrients in the cold .
Doesnt seem to bother them and they will all pick up later when feeding begins again.
By the way, when I use the eucalyptus spray, I usually do all the brugs , epis & zygos. It discourages any other insects lurking ready to munch.
Jean.

It's ok, Jean...I am well aware of the problems with Malathion...I threw out a bottle years ago...when I have to, I use your Eucalyptus method...I started that last year...

Colleen, do you still want a cutting of the Tree Dahlia?...they are starting to die down so it will be ready to cut soon...

Still heaps of snails here, never seen them in such numbers....

I received three crosses in the seeds that Chrissy sent 18mnths ago and the last, Apricot Versi x ?, has y'd, but I think that it will be too cold for a result from that one. Funny that one of each y'd...how considerate of them......

Merino, Australia

Couldnt resist. He may not have giant flowers, but he blooms better than any of my other brugs.
Of course, my golden boy today. GHA
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
barmera, Australia

Jean your boy is so handsome. Yes please Dianne. Have not been able to find anyone growing it around here. I'm still after the white one as well. Colleen

My lovely GHA is budding up too after a bit of Frost shock, I would love it to bloom just once more so I can enjoy that perfume.
I so miss my Angels already.
I found some pods have grown on some of my last minute crosses so I am happy. Buck's Fizz x Butter Bomb, Butter Bomb x Hope, Jean's first German bloom x Hope (same cross), Domain x Buck's Fizz, Pink Panther x Butter bomb,Pink Panther x Twilight Time. I am really surprised and delighted to have pods, I really did not hold much hope for them.

What pods do you have anyone?
Any more success with Knightii crosses?
Don't forget to note the temps and conditions when you do your crosses, it will help in the future.

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

They will be interesting to watch Chrissy!

Here we have:
'Domain' x 'Old Apricot'
'Clementine' x 'Coral Reef'
'Adele Essex' x 'Coral Reef'
'Love Potion no.9' x 'Pink Panther'
'Mea Culpa' x 'Alphonse Mucha'

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

A different year weather wise to last...
Here is 'Clementine' blooming away! 'Butter Bomb' is in full bloom as is the aurea. Last year it was heavy frosts for four days.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
Victoria, Australia

A Yellow Iochroma!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20217462@N02/5741677577/in/photostream/

Merino, Australia

Wow..... I want one......
Lucas, isnt it beautiful ?
Jean.

Oh my goodness I have never heard of a yellow one before ...must google :)
Yes ...it's really real.
How rare is that, pretty rare I think thanks Lucas, who knew ^_^
Lovely Wayne ...can't wait

Thumbnail by

It must be Iochroma day....found this one in the Geelong gardens this afternoon....Jean, it's pink is hot pink and it's on a very large bush....I walked past it at first, then I noticed the leaves....

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Here is the bush..It's almost finished flowering and about 6ft x 6ft

Thumbnail by Seachanger

At first I thought that it was one of those Fuschias with the long corolla...that's when I noticed the leaves.
Unfortunately the plant ID has long gone...

Thumbnail by Seachanger
Victoria, Australia

I'm not convinced that is an Iochroma, Dianne, it looks like some kind of Fuchsia to me, the petals are longer than any Iochroma I've seen and they are split... whatever it is its a new one on me :)

Take a look at the leaf in the first pic, Lucas ...it's about 10 ins long.

This message was edited Jun 28, 2011 5:27 PM

Victoria, Australia

LOL am still not convinced ;)
I agree the leaf is very similar but its the arrangement of the flowers and those long petals that's got me. and its got these secondary petals that's also thrown me

and look at the fruit forming in your last pic and compare, iochroma have freshy rounded fruits
looks a lot like Fuchsia boliviana ;)

http://botany.si.edu/onagraceae/OnagrImages/Fuchsiaboliviana1.jpg
http://www.plantthis.com.au/plant-information.asp?gardener=14845&tabview=photos&plantSpot=0

When I'm there, I can never resist this Sanguinea....the ID calls it the Eagle Tree....anyone know why?

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Here is it's flower........... I will look at your link in a sec, Lucas

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Bugger, I think that you are right...and I was planning to nick a bit, next trip....oh well....lol

This message was edited Jun 28, 2011 6:03 PM

Victoria, Australia

Outstanding. :)

I think Eagle Tree had some association with certain South American Indian tribe's mythology or similar, forgot exactly...

Victoria, Australia

It's an oldie that sang, decent trunk on it.

Looks like it could do with a prune ;) lol

I think it's a Cantua Dianne ...yummy!
http://www.global-garden.com.au/backissuez/0111feature1.htm

Edited to say Lucas is right ...guess I got a bit excited Wayne and I were lusting after the cantua last year ...that's a very nice plant just the same.

This message was edited Jun 28, 2011 6:34 PM

Yes it is a wonderful old tree, a bit of it is now in a pot, trying to strike......:-)

They have a collection box at the exit, I almost always have to contribute....
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Sorry Chrissie, the lengths of the flowers are similar, but I have a Cantua...
I would say that Lucas is correct...

Victoria, Australia

Cantua buxifolia "Sacred Flower of the Incas" is another beauty though, I've seen a few stunning ones around here. Love it, looks like a Brug or Iochroma and from same habitat an Andean subtropical.
I really like it, it's the most nondescript, ordinary-looking thing when not in bloom and then when it flowers it is completely tranformed, magic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20217462@N02/5738101151/

ha ha ha I was editing my post to say that Lucas was right while you guys posted ...nice plant any way ...do you have a picture of your cantua ?

It's a hard thing to photograph, Chrissy.... flower photos are best, which I will take when it flowers.....It's just a mass of thin twigs with little leaves otherwise...
Mine is the C. buxifolia the 2 tone pink...I have been looking for the yellow and white for a while...

I thought you may have a photo from when it bloomed ...never mind , next time.

No pics Chrissy...I only bought mine last year .....certainly this year there will be pics..

Good luck in that comp...you are doing well...

This message was edited Jun 28, 2011 7:59 PM

I have dropped out of it Dianne because we are a day ahead and it wouldn't be fair because we get in before the others. It's fun just to watch ...what fun. I felt awful when I realized that I had got in ahead with the first answers, sometimes it's difficult when we are awake while others are asleep and visa versa. :)

Merino, Australia

Dianne, that sang definitely looks like it needs a prune. Lucky I am not there or I would help 'relocate' a piece or two.
I do like the flowers on the cantua too. I thought of fuchsia when I saw the flowers.
Lucas , you are great on getting these IDs. BTW, the sangs are looking really good here so far.
Jean

Thrown off again so I will come back after ...:)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.