PBF- Purple Based Foliage Iris

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Which irises do you grow with purple based foliage? I really love it and it makes it easier to identify the plants when they aren't flowering. I know that Shadowwood has a great list - what do you grow?

Blue Shimmer - strong PBF
Splashacata - strong
Dauntless - faint

South Hamilton, MA

Several MTBs have it, especially 'Billie the Brownie'. We don't grow very many TBs. Very helpful on seedlings when dividing them away from each other.

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

Ah!! TY for the note that Shadowwood has a list of PBF...I will go check there to see what I have that is.
My iris in question is right...it was supposed to be 'Imprimis' and labeled that, but after seeing a pic of 'Electrique' and knowing that I also had that one, I was afraid that I had somehow mixed them up when moving.
I will see which I have with PBF. I never made a note on that for the irises I have. I would like to make that note for each cultivar I have.
deb

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

More with PBF

Samurai Warrior
Wabash
Sable
Golden Muffin IB
Thornbird (faint)
Devonshire Cream
Iris Florentina

Gilbertsville, KY(Zone 7a)

Here is a link to a web site that caitlinsgarden shared on an iris forum thread last June that lists 468 cultivars with PBF.
http://lfrazer.com/iris/irispbf.html
another link from HIPS
http://www.worldiris.com/public_html/Frame_pages/Purple.html

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

http://hayefield.com/2011/01/19/one-plant-three-seasons-iris-gerald-darby/
This is very high on my "must have" list! Gerald Darby with purple foliage. I think I might concentrate on purple foliage if I make any crosses.

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I loved that web site. Thanks so much for posting it. Gotta put Gerald Darby on my wish list (right at the top).

South Hamilton, MA

While the purple is present, not as high up on the foliage here & as noted gets lower in the summer. Try Snowpeak irises for 'Dark Aura'. I haven't grown that one so don't know if the stems can 'loop' as Gerald Darby does. that is a virginica trait & those plants are doing it now.

This message was edited Jun 23, 2011 11:22 AM

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Yup, they sure do. You can see it starting in this pic. There are quite a few of these irises in commerce now.

Thumbnail by pollyk
South Hamilton, MA

Nothing like hitting the wrong vowels, went back & edited them. Ooof! I don't know why our straight virginica bloomed so late this yr. 4" of rain over night. that ought to keep them encouraged.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Oh, poo, Lucy, we know what you mean.

Mittsy, gotcha covered.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I just ordered Dark Aura, Gerald Darby and John Wood from Ensata Gardens. John Wood is a red violet with purple shaded stems.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

All nice ones, and good growers here. They need lots and lots of water to do their best.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I'll put them within easy reach of the hose! Or would it help to plant them little lower so the water would pool around them?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

As long as it won't pool around them when it freezes. The more water you can give them the better.

Huntersville, NC

oh my Gerald Darby is wonderful!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I see the wholesalers are now carrying Gerald Darby, so you will be seeing it for sale all over.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

New Iris with PBF - Dance the Night Away

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

These are some I got this year--been noting PBF when I receive them.

sdb Lemon Twist
TB Let's Elope
mdb Fuzzy Logic

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

I had my DH cut half of a 5 gallon bucket off. Then I dug a hole in the ground and put the bottom half in. Filled the bucket with soil and water and planted a not-so-good (pollyk...the "Pink Lady) JI in it. That way I can keep it wet. No holes in the bucket so the water won't run out and near the spigot, too! Want to see how that works.
Deb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.