A new bean problem.

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

I don't recall finding bean leaves chewed up like this before. Any ideas what this might be? If "yes," can you suggest a remedy?

TIA
LAS

Thumbnail by LAS14
Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

2nd picture

Thumbnail by LAS14
Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Could be earwigs-their damage looks like that.

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

I hope so!!! I've been reading up on earwigs (for my delphs up against a stone wall) and it sounds like spinosad, which I've got, will do the trick. I'll try it right away!

LAS

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

last year my delphs got infested with earwigs- for such small critters they sure raise cain!

Sanford, ME

Are you in my Garden,.. that's what mine look like as well?.... I have seen earwigs around, but none actually on the plants?

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

:-) No, I'm in Albany, not Sanford.

Earwigs come out at night, so that might explain why you haven't seen them eating.

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

and they move faaaassst ! they stay under moist debris and plants. ornery varmints-----

Sanford, ME

I am going to try some Diamtomaceos Earth..... I'll let you know if it helps

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

DE didn't work in my garden with daily irrigation- the bag said it must be dry to work- good luck with yours.

Sanford, ME

So Far so good,.. the DE appears to working,.. I did apply it when all was dry,... I waited about 36 hours before watering,...

also applied Spinosad the day before that,... the combination appears to have helped,.. and it's only been since Sunday.... (this is Wednesday).... I found some dead cut worms ad earwigs,.. and a greatly reduced population of ants,.... my beets seem to be doing better as well

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.