Michaelangelo's trees

Brainerd, MN

There are several conifers in the yard that I would like to learn more about, especially the ones that appear to have damage or look like they could use some kind of help, be it for their health or just their general appearance. I know little about any of these trees because I've only lived here for a couple of years. Also, this is a VERY wooded area so folks don't do a lot of fussing, but still, as you'll see, some of these trees look like they could use help. These tress are in Cental Minnesota, on a lakeshore, Zone 3B.

I've numbering the pics, and also added a letter for detail pics of the same tree.

Thanks in advance for any help or information you can give.

I'm pretty sure pic #1 is a Pine Tree of some kind. You can see the left side is scrungier than the right, which might be from a sun issue (?) although just recently several Jack Pines were taken down. Is there anything I can do for its well being or appearance - or just leave it alone?

This message was edited Jun 21, 2011 11:12 AM

Thumbnail by michael_angelo
Brainerd, MN

detail of tree 1

Brainerd, MN

another detail of tree 1

What causes these large gaps between the bows?

This message was edited Jun 21, 2011 11:13 AM

Brainerd, MN

tree #2 Is probably somewhat sun starved except for later in the day. It's been this sickly looking for a long time. I'm willing to use some chemicals, etc., as long as they are ecology-friendly (and especially so near bodies of water).

This message was edited Jun 21, 2011 11:15 AM

Brainerd, MN

(duplicate-ignore)

This message was edited Jun 21, 2011 11:17 AM

This message was edited Jun 21, 2011 11:17 AM

Brainerd, MN

tree #3 I think this is a spruce and it's pretty healthy looking. Is there routine care (nutrients etc) that should be done on an annual or now and then basis? Is it OK to saw off a few of the lower branches so it's easier to rake and mow beneath it?

During extended dry periods should these trees be watered like shrubs and young trees or are they so well established that watering is just not necessary (and again, they are within 100 feet of a lake)?

This message was edited Jun 21, 2011 11:22 AM

Brainerd, MN

tree #4 Spruce? Only a small section of this tree looks not so good... any ideas about why or what can be done to improve its appearance? And again, what about sawing off a few of the lower branches so it's easier to rake and mow beneath it?

This message was edited Jun 21, 2011 11:29 AM

Brainerd, MN

tree # 4 detail of damaged bows

Brainerd, MN

Tree #5 bottom has been in this sad looking state for long time. What to do?

This message was edited Jun 21, 2011 11:34 AM

Brainerd, MN

Tree #5 detail of lower area

Brainerd, MN

Tree #6

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

#1 - Red Pine
#2 a fir of some sort, likely Balsam Fir
#3 - #6 probably all Blue Spruce

Some close-ups showing leaf detail would help confirm the identities.

Yes, you can prune off the lower branches, but the tree won't look so nice afterwards - personally, I'd keep the branches for the better appearance, even if it does make mowing more difficult.

Resin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.