Winter Hippeastrum???

barmera, Australia

Hi all. I'm in Australia and this bulb is flowering right this minute for me. I got it from a friend and he said it was a Winter Hippeastrum. Would anyone know the correct name please? Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris
Solingen, Germany(Zone 7a)

This is Hippeastrum aulicum
In Germany, this species produces flowers somewhat later, in August. At first a bunch of new leaves, often 6, emerges, then one or two scapes that include generally 2, sometimes 3 florets each.

barmera, Australia

Thank you so much for your help. Colleen

Solingen, Germany(Zone 7a)

Consider self pollination. Even that it is a true species, the progeny will not be fully uniform in performance. Some seedlings will produce bigger flowers, some will produce deeper color or/and conspicious venation and/or be more readily producing the "regular"4-corner" umbel EVEN!.The most practical way to produce seedlings out of 100-200 seeds is to place them upright, into lines into the substrate. After approx. 1/2 Year the seedlings can be inspected and selected for vigor, keeping only them best specuimens, let's say 20. Upon good husbandry these DIPloid hippeastrums will produce maiden blooms after just 2 seasons of continuous growth. This species Hippeastrum is "evergreen" it should never dry out completely, and it should be kept at ambient temperatures throughout the year.

barmera, Australia

I certainly will consider self-pollination. Thank you for telling me. I really don't know anything about this one and am open for any suggestions. It's a really lovely flower and is lovely and bright seeing nothing much is flowering in our winter. Colleen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.