Tree ID

(Nadine) Devers, TX(Zone 9b)

Can anybody help with ID of this tree in Texas? http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1190686/

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Got any Persimmons (Diospyros spp.) nearby?

The pic with tip of the new growth pointing at the camera looks just like it, and the behavior of "...just this past spring popping up..." sounds just like the suckering habit of this species - especially if there has been any kind of recent root disturbance.

MMmmm, these have to be wild ones since I just planted a small one this spring..I know it didn't produce fruit or seeds for these others to come up..Thanks!! Okay, another question..Do I leave them to grow? The saplings are no close to each other..

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

If you don't have a large tree in your yard, is there one in a neighbor's yard?

I'd bet these are suckers from a bigger tree's root system, if you have them suddenly appearing en masse like you described. That isn't likely to happen with seeds in a lawn situation. You could dig out around where one of these is occurring, and see if it is a sprout from a larger root, or whether it is an independent plant with its own little root system.

Post a picture of the whole scenario...

You should also start a post on the ID forum, where a lot more ID eyes will see it - for more potential opinions.

My closet neighbor are 8 acres away from me on both sides of my property. They are in oil field business so I know there are no trees around parking lot. Has to be wild animals doing this.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.