Elberta Peach Tree Not Blooming

Oakland, MD

A friend of mine has an Elberta dwarf peach tree.
It's five years old, and still has not bloomed.
Any suggestions on getting it to bloom?
It's in a nice sunny location, and is a beautiful tree.
It just doesnt seem to want to bloom.

Harlingen, TX

Do you happen to have a picture of it? 5 years old definitely sounds old enough for it to bloom but I am not very familiar with dwarf peach trees. If I am not mistaken there are about 6 varieties of elberta peaches and only one has a chill hour requirement of 500 hours, the rest are somewhere around 700-800. I live in deep south Texas so any fruit tree I grow has to have a low chill hour requirement so double check that it gets enough cool weather in order to bloom.

Also is it planted in a pot or in the ground? If it is in a pot it may need more room to grow. If it looks pretty healthy it may just need an extra boost with some fertilizer. I used a basic 10-10-10 and a bloom booster fertilizer on my fruit once they started growing after winter this past year and they loved it!

Oakland, MD

its in the ground, and we're in the mountains of western maryland. we DEFINITELY get cold enough lol.
i dont have a picture of it. havent been to her place in a long while, and she just inquired over it over the phone.

Harlingen, TX

Hmm, well hopefully someone can help you out a little bit more. There are so many things that could be affecting it. The soil is one I did not mention previously, and it might be important. If the ground is too hard or rocky it could also be affecting the tree. Peach trees tend to like sandy, fast draining soil.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

According to the Dave Wilson Nursery site, a dwarf Elberta peach needs about 600 chill hours. Your friend needs to find out how many chill hours her area gets. Her local Cooperative Extension Service agent should have it. It could still be weather related. If the buds start to swell before the last freeze, the buds may be freezing and falling off without your friend knowing it. The blooms on my peach tree are killed by a late freeze at least once every 2 or 3 years.

How well is the tree growing? Is it getting fertilized? How healthy is it during the year?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.