My Georgia Garden - Blooming Today, June 18th

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Peonies and iris have gone, shastas are starting and daylilies are mid-bloom in the northwest corner.

Thumbnail by Romegrown
Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

NOID daylily very pretty peach

Thumbnail by Romegrown
Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

NOID day lily watermelon red

Thumbnail by Romegrown
Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Large white clematis (henryi?)

Thumbnail by Romegrown
Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Shasta daisy

Thumbnail by Romegrown
Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Peach drift rose

Thumbnail by Romegrown
Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

New lily pond

Thumbnail by Romegrown
Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

NOID daylily, my prettiest one.

Thumbnail by Romegrown
Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Water feature with yellow freckle lily.

Thumbnail by Romegrown
Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Reseeding impatiens.

Thumbnail by Romegrown
Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Mid-summer bloom on wisteria.

Thumbnail by Romegrown
Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Veggies behind deer mesh.

Thumbnail by Romegrown
Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Hostas eaten down to the nubs.

Thumbnail by Romegrown
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Your garden looks great! I especially like your daylilies. Beautiful colors. I did want to comment on your deer mesh...make sure it is off the ground by 3"-4" inches or you will trap box turtles and good snakes. Several years ago we accidentally hung a turtle and a corn snake in that mesh. I was able to free a second corn snake. I stopped using it after we had problems with birds flying into it as well.

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks, we haven't had any problem with trapping critters; the veggies are in raised beds about six inches high and the the mesh is installed with "doors" that lift up. We don't have much space for the garden, so the beds are pretty small. Deer have been hard on the hostas and day lilies.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Beautiful flowers. Love the pond - I really HATE deer!

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Rome - pretty flowers. I have several "No ID" daylilies that were passalongs from my dad. I love June because each day seems to bring blooms on a different daylily.

That's interesting about your mesh/ doors, etc. Could you post a pic? I tucked some daylilies in among my herbs near the house, but the deer found them. I was hoping the odors of the herbs would keep them away. NOT...

Thumbnail by cedar18

Pam, your lilies look gorgeous! Do you remember the name of the super lemon yellow one you gave me? I've lost the tag. It's in bloom now so I'll get to show it off at the RU. DL 'Pixie Poet', another gift from you is just finishing up. The Coreopsis rosea is covered in tiny buds. I'm trying to will it to open in the next day or two. :)

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Laurel, I'm guessing it's a NoID from my grandmother that I named Mary. It's a good performer and I'm glad you like it. Pixie Poet is the most floriferous ?? daylily I have. Those little guys just bloom their hearts out. I've counted over 70 buds on one plant. It's funny that it's finishing for you as PP is in the middle of its bloom cycle for me. But my coreposis rosea is late this year. Go figure. We finally got rain yesterday and today!! I hope you did too.

Tons and inches. I said on the RU thread that it's wonderful to not have to water (and water and water), especially before hosting this group. Pixie Poet was incredibly bloomiferous (lol). Must be our light differences because we are so close to each other you'd think they'd bloom at the same time. And, BTW, if you find yourself with a few free hours on Saturday we'd love to have you drop by.
Laurel

Cartersville, GA

Barbara, I love your new lily pond! You have some pretty daylilies. I have enjoyed seeing some of your garden. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Doris

Pam, I found the stone marker for that yellow daylily. It is 'Marci'. I love it! The color of lemons.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

That's great Laurel. I have several pretty yellows. NoID Mary is quite a bit taller than Marci.
How was the RU?

Rome: I'm envious of your reseeding impatiens. When we lived in Duluth in a neighborhood of older, shaded homes, quite a few people had impressive displays of them.

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Thank you Cedar, yes, I love those reseeding impatiens; inherited with this house when we moved here seven years ago, couldn't be easier, they come back every year.

Oriental lilies are ready to bloom here; wonderful stargazers are open and the very tall casa blancas will be open maybe tomorrow, I'll try to get a picture up. Love the pictures of your day lilies; I'm placing my fall daylily order today from Casshigh. I have been fortunate to visit the Bishop's wonderful garden in Cassville twice in June to make my selections.

We had a great time at the RU, Pam. Wish you and the other GA gardeners who didn't make it were here. There were about fifteen of us and food for 1,500. There were hundreds of plants. No kidding...aside from the extensive trade lists posted, folks brought lots of extras to give away. Everyone went home with tummies full of food and cars full of plants. I started planting yesterday and hope to finish tomorrow. Just coming in to cool off after planting yellow flag iris down by the pond.

I'm especially fond of small daylilies for the narrow border on the side of the veggie garden.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.