Sick Cherry

Burien, WA(Zone 7b)

1st. I apologize for my longwindedness, Im trying to be thourough b/c I know its really hard to pin down plant problems without obvious cause via photos and not seeing the actual plant in person
I believe this is a Mt Fuji flowering cherry, but its for sure a flowering cherry. Here's the scoop. I noticed a while ago there was one main branch of the tree that looks dead. The rest of the tree flowered and leafed out normally, but this branch was struggling with about 6-7 leaves in all. Some of those leaves are yellow and have a few holes in them, but not enough to think that was the problem b/c it was really only one leaf that was spotty and holey. So I pulled out the ladder and loppers this morning to remove that branch. To my surprise the branch isn't really dead, there were still green buds at the tip of each offshoot branch attached to the main branch. I still cut it off, a good 6" back into what looks like healthy wood. The first thing I noticed is there looks to be a little bit of rot in the bark layer. So I get on the internet and started reading about other people problems with cherries which lead me to post where another woman had nearly the same symptoms, plus weak roots. I think to myself " this tree has a nearly 7" caliper trunk, surely I have well established roots". So I grab the trunk and give it a yank. Wouldn't you know, I was able to move the tree about 3" in either directing leaving a 2" gap between the soil and the trunk. I was shocked. So from experience and years of telling former customers, if the problem is not obvious above the soil, get down in that dirt and see whats going on. So now I dig holes about 15" deep each, one about 1' away from the trunk and a 2nd right against the trunk. It looks as though the top 3-5" of soil had been amended, then about 10-12" of glacial till and finally I struck clay. You know what I didn't find? Not one root! Not in either hole, there was not one healthy white root. There really wasn't even any dead or decaying roots. So now I am thinking I have some kind of trunk/root rot, like butt rott or Armillaria and maybe the roots are so far gone that they have already decomposed. I took a shaving from the trunk about 10" below the soil to try and find the characteristics of the rot so I can identify it. But there us nothing obvious. No discoloration or papery-ness. Ugggg I feel so stumped! I go back to the tree and look for ANY anomalies, I found 2 things which where out of the ordinary and I will post the pics below with a description of each.

I am not really concerned with saving the tree, I really wanted a fruiting cherry any way. I want to identify the problem to know if I can plant another prunus species there or if I have to plant something else in the meantime and give the bacteria/fungus/who knows what time to die.

This first pic is of the end of the branch I removed this morning. The small blackish marks are from my loppers. If you look to the upper right portion of the branch you can see the bark there is a bit "fluffier" than the rest.

Thumbnail by HydroPinke
Burien, WA(Zone 7b)

This pic is of the few leaves that branch did have. As you can see they took on fall color a little bit early this year.

Thumbnail by HydroPinke
Burien, WA(Zone 7b)

This photo is of the one leaf that was spotted and holey. Not sure if its related or not.

Thumbnail by HydroPinke
Burien, WA(Zone 7b)

#4 is the tip of one of the side shoots with a green bud that never leafed out.

Thumbnail by HydroPinke
Burien, WA(Zone 7b)

#5 is the end of the branch I cut that is still attached to the tree.

Thumbnail by HydroPinke
Burien, WA(Zone 7b)

#6 is the overall tree. Fully leafed out.

Thumbnail by HydroPinke
Burien, WA(Zone 7b)

#7 is to show you how far I can rock the tree back and forth with barely any effort.

Thumbnail by HydroPinke
Burien, WA(Zone 7b)

#8 is the first anomaly I found - it is super small, no bigger than a pencil head. It has a honeycomb like pattern on it. I have not disturbed it yet. Gray in color. Only 1 I could find on the tree.

Thumbnail by HydroPinke
Burien, WA(Zone 7b)

#9 is some black spots I found. There were quite a few of these, mostly on the shaded side of the trunk. They dont appear to wipe off or smear when I touch.

If you are still reading after all those photos, THANK YOU! You are a trooper.

So, does this look or sound familiar to anyone? Is is staring me in the face and I just don't get it?
Any ideas, help or leads would be much appreciated.

Thumbnail by HydroPinke
Burien, WA(Zone 7b)

Sad face :( no one has any ideas?
Im going to cross post this into the fruit tree section and see if anyone who grows fruiting cherries has an idea.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

You might try Trees & Shrubs as well--this forum doesn't seem to get that much traffic but there are definitely some tree experts who hang out on T&S

Burien, WA(Zone 7b)

Thanks ecrane, will do.

Harlingen, TX

Is that "fluffy" bark on the branch actually softer? In the picture it honestly just looks like the way it was cut. I trim a lot of oak trees in our yard and that exact look happens to us all the time because as you cut the branch starts to fall and the last area to be cut sort of gets tugged away. Does that make sense? Haha. For example if you have a horrizontal branch growing and you cut it, by the time the clippers make it to the other side (assumming the blade starts at the top side) the weight of the branch is pulling away from where it is connected and can give it that look.

Now if that area is soft and extends farther than a few inches from where it was cut then it might be a problem but from the picture it seems to be fine.

The honeycomb looking thing is the result of either a fungus or little bugs. Same goes for the black dots, if they are not eggs of some bug then they most likely are just a fungus. If you don't mind spraying a few chemicals they make plenty of fungicide/insect repellents for rose bushes that I think would do a great job at getting rid of that. There are plenty of different kinds and Bayer may actually make a spray for trees and fruit trees if I am not mistaken so that might be worth buying.

The fact that you can wiggle the tree is not really a good sign but it may just be having trouble getting rooted properly. I had that same issue with several peach and other fruit trees I purchased this past spring but an easy solution is just hammering some sturdy stakes in the ground and supporting the tree with some plant tape or even old panty-hose Haha. The panty-hose works wonders because if one side is too loose you can just pull it and wrap it around the stake a few times to add extra tension. Try doing that in three or four directions around the tree to keep it immobile. If the tree stays still it will be able to support itself faster as the roots will be able to grow without any disruption by movement.

Hope this helps!

Burien, WA(Zone 7b)

Finally removed the tree today with help from a friend. We dug out the small and pathetic root structure and discovered armillaria. :(
Glad I went ahead and took it out, there was no hope for this tree.
After the monsoon like weather we've been having the tree lurched almost an entire foot to the left/ towards the ground.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.