Hot Papaya

Hamilton, OH

Coming back strong this year

Thumbnail by Nevermore44
Lake Stevens, WA

Great picture. Your camea got the color just right.

Chattanooga, TN(Zone 7b)

I am really impressed by how long this one looks good in a vase.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

My 'Hot Papaya' this morning.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Lake Stevens, WA

Such a nice plant with lots of blooms.

Dayton, OH

I don't know if is a Hot Papaya or not, the animals got ahold of this last year and almost ate it up. that's when I put Chicken wire around all my Coneflower's.

Thumbnail by roseycats
(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

Very pretty. My favorite right now is Pica Bella. It's just covered with blooms.

Dayton, OH

Nice picture's everyone
Happy Gardening

Hamilton, OH

full plant... great cultivar!!!!

Thumbnail by Nevermore44
Dayton, OH

Beautiful flower, nevermore

Lake Stevens, WA

nevemore,
You sure have posted lots of nice pictures. Have so enjoyed.

Greenbush, MI(Zone 4b)

Hi All,

I just happened to spot a new Coneflower named Irresistable at the local nursery. (There's only one around here LOL) I'm looking forward to see it bloom; the one I bought had buds, so I shouuld see soon. A couple were blooming there and it's a orangy/red. Once Iget back on my feet, I would like to post a list of my coneflowers for trading or seeds.

Carol

Delphi, IN

Since the title of this post is "Hot Papaya", I hope you don't mind if I post my question here. I just planted 3 Hot Papaya this spring so they are young with one main bloom and a couple side shoots. One plant is *truly* two-tone. I did nothing to this photo. Half of the bloom is a beautiful deep pink and the other half is the burnt-orange red color that I think "Hot Papaya" is supposed to be. There were two side shoot blooms that I haven't looked at for three or four days, but they were both light orange. Is this a common occurance? Should it straighten out next year? Does anyone have the same experience?

Thumbnail by TsFlowers
Delphi, IN

Oops sorry, that photo was too big. Here's another photo of one of the other plants which is the correct color and you can see the above one in the background.

Thumbnail by TsFlowers
Hamilton, OH

hot papaya does start out orange and go red as it matures.. but for it to be half and half... that's odd. It looks slightly sun "lighted/bleached" on the ones side... interesting none the less

Delphi, IN

So is yours a 2 year old plant nevermore? After reading some other posts here on the coneflower forum, I think I'm going out and cutting the blooms off my Hot Papaya plants. I want all energy to go to the plant and not to the bloom or trying to form seeds. I love these and very much want them to last more than two or three years. My Pink Double Delight and Coconut Lime are so nice this year I'm using them for cut flowers and they are great. I'm hoping for the same from Hot Papaya even if I have to cut off the blooms the first two years for the plant to develop.

Thumbnail by TsFlowers
Hamilton, OH

yes they are in their second year in my hands. Though when i purchased them last year, they were in their second year from growth.

as long as the plant is doing okay, i am not one to cut blooms to strengthen the plant. The only time i do this is if on a purchased plant there isn't much basal growth... but even that doesn't always help the plant carry through the winter.

Delphi, IN

Just a note for anyone else who reads this thread, I checked my plants yesterday and the side-shoot blooms off the main stem of the one that is two colors on one flower, those new blooms are the correct color. So I don't know why the original bloom was that way.

I hear what you are saying about making it through the winter. And thanks for your response. Hope yours make it to their third year in the ground.

Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

I'm really pleased with 'Hot Papaya.' So many of the other new cultivars have not worked in my yard, but this one is very happy.

Thumbnail by bordersandjacks
Dayton, OH

Nice Coneflowers everyone

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Just got my first bloom....I love it......praying the mites don't mess it up!!

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Upper Saint Clair, PA(Zone 6a)

Here is the second year for mine. Something ate quite a few of the leaves off, but it survived. I like this one!

Thumbnail by linjasar
Dayton, OH

Yes, those are nice linjasar like the yellow Coneflowers also.

Upper Saint Clair, PA(Zone 6a)

Thank you, roseycats! I have 3 cats of my own :)

Wappingers Falls, NY

This is the second year for my 'Hot Papaya'. I added 3 plants last year to my 'hot' garden, which has mostly red, orange or yellow flowers (with a little blue for contrast). The photo shows it in the center, among some Gloriosa daisies.

Thumbnail by mrsrudy
(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

mrsrudy, what a pretty garden! I love your colors and how healthy everything looks!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Nice flowers everyone, I really like that 'Hot Papaya' ! It's a must have :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.