What do I do with a bullfrog?

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

We are in a serious drought in this part of Texas and that may have contributed to this situation. Our dog was barking late this evening and I found that she was harassing a female bullfrog near the flower bed in the back yard. I got my gloves on and picked up the frog and put her in a clean bucket of water to keep safe from the dog.
My question is, should I let this bullfrog go? The reason I ask is because I've heard that bullfrogs eat lots of the smaller frogs which are fewer in number than bullfrogs. If they are an invasive or harmful species, I don't want to let her go to do more damage. I appreciate any input. Thanks!

Redwood City, CA

Sorry I'm unable to help. I have heard about bullfrogs being very invasive but I have no idea if that's true in your area.

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's everything you ever wanted to know about bullfrogs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullfrog

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

Thank you for the replies Illig1 and faeden.
In most respects that is certainly a comprehensive article about bullfrogs! It just doesn't tell me if they are so bad that we should try to get rid of them. But no matter, during the night the big girl escaped the bucket I had her in till her fate could be decided. So she is free, roaming the hot and dry Texas landscape (unless she found a stock tank with some water still in it.) : )

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Fairly sure they're native in Texas, so not harmful there. Take it to a stream or pool still with some water in, and release it there.

Resin

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Resin - You're right the bullfrog is native to most of Texas as well as much of North America. See the wiki link I provided above - there's a map there.

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

She got away - jumped out of the five gallon bucket - during the night. But it is good to know that they are native to this region and not an invasive species.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.