June 17th, 2011: Crinum Lily (Crinum scabrum) by onalee

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

The Bloom of the Day for June 17th, 2011 was Crinum Lily (Crinum scabrum).

View the bloom of the day here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/botd.php?date=2011-06-17

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

ooooooohhhhhhhh that is nice

Salina, KS(Zone 6a)

Isn't that pretty!!!

Gorgeous

PURI, India

I think in India we call it Milk and Wine Lily

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

My milk and wine lillies only bloom white with a faint pink stripe. I wish I knew what is missing in the soil. Any suggestions would be welcome. This is a beautiful picture of what it is supposed to look like. Luciee

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Wow! That's some nice lookin' lily!!

Dahlonega, GA(Zone 7b)

Quote from luciee :
My milk and wine lillies only bloom white with a faint pink stripe. I wish I knew what is missing in the soil. Any suggestions would be welcome. This is a beautiful picture of what it is supposed to look like. Luciee

There are several types of crinum which are white with pink or red strips that fall under the category of milk and wine. Some of them are species (occur in nature) and some are hybrids.

scabrum is one of the species types. Others are digweedii, herbertii, bulbispermum, and others

You can search pictures of these different milk & wine on the net.

some are not as brilliant as scabrum, but may be easier to grow,and more hardy in the colder zones.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I've never found the scabrum to be hard to grow - in fact, it grows like a weed with no care at all. In central Florida, these grow along fencelines and near old homesteads, completely neglected, blooming when the rain sees fit to fall in the spring or early summer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.