Is This Bloom Okay?

Auburntown, TN(Zone 7a)

Last year, I planted 16 various dahlia tubers. For one reason or another (ie: over-watering, under-watering, pest infestation, etc), they all died before blooming. Determined to try again this year, I planted several more. My first one - a Tahiti Sunrise - has had a bud on it for awhile now. Yesterday, I noticed it started to actually open. I'm super excited to get this far, but I'm a bit worried about the bud. I thought the coloring was supposed to be mostly pink and yellow. Although from what I'm seeing now... it looks mostly white. Will the color change? Also, the middle of the bud is still really green. Is this normal?

I've had a few lily blooms open prematurely. By this, I mean only half or a few of the petals opened while the rest of it stayed closed. And by the time the rest opened, the other petals had fallen off. I guess I'm worried that this bud may be opening prematurely as well. Perhaps not getting enough water and/or sun?

Any thoughts?

Thumbnail by Shaigirl
(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Dahlias die faster from too much water than from too little. I have killed off my hare. And the colors do change somewhat, although to be honest I didn't think that was the case with dahlias. On the third hand, it looks lovely just like it is, well, color wise, and will be gorgeous when it fully opens. I planted some double lilies two falls ago and while they grew last year and had buds, they just sort of wilted and turned brown but didn't open. I blamed it on too much water and a soggy bed. they are up and robust now, and I am hoping they have developed enough root mass to bloom. They are called Miss Lucy. All other lilies are in various stages of growth, the orienpets with tree trunk stems. My Goldalias have just started to open up. Cut little guys, but no bigger ones. Mine are started in doors then planted in the ground or in pots. All get pretty much full sun.

Auburntown, TN(Zone 7a)

To be honest, I've had THE HARDEST TIME finding that fine line between underwatering and overwatering my dahlias. I'm guessing it'd be easier if I planted them in the ground instead of pots. But dahlias are not hardy in my zone and I hate the thought of having to dig them up in a flower bed! I'm hoping I'll get better with practice!

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 5b)

My dahlias in pots last year did terribly but I'm sure that's because I needed to be watering them EVERY day and I certainly didn't. Of course I'm in a very dry state so everyday might not be a necessity for you..

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

I solved the overwatering in a pot by buying a simple household hydrometer or watermeter like you use for house plants to test for dryness. I have an orchid that must be bone dry to the bottom before watering. Dahlias in pots look bone dry on top but down by the roots and tubers it can still be very moist. Then you want again and pretty soon you end up with mud. At least I did. Now I test first no matter what the top looks like.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.