UK Nurseries?

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Hi. I hope it's OK to post my question here since I'm primarily interested in perennials available in the UK.
Does anyone have a list of UK nurseries that will ship to the US? It would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Not sure about importing perennials from UK to the States but I assume it would require you to get a photosanitary certificate from the US gov. to do so. I know with in the EU they can ship plants from country to country.

I think it might be easier to import from Cananda to the US and a number of Canadian nurseries and seed companies have close relationships with those in UK.

I'm not totally up to date, but I used to order seeds from Chiltern Seeds and they have a fabulous range: http://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/

Just curious, what plants are you looking for??

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

I can't remember the particular plants right now. All I know is, it happens way to often that I see a plant I want really bad and it's only carried in UK or Europe. :-(
I have ordered quite a few seeds from over there. No problem with them.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

As tabasco suggests, I have had great luck w/ canadian nurseries. I love the weird/exotic plants. Fraser Thimble Farms (I think is it's name) has a remarkable variety and ship to US without any fuss. There are a few others, but I don't (yet) have experience with them. I've been tempted to try UK nurseries, but haven't taken the plunge yet. Some in the Netherlands also look great, but no experience yet.

I've lusted after some of the plants offered by chinese and japanese nurseries, but I've never tried them. I've been concerned about inappropriate digging of endangered wild species, which I've heard is common practice among these nurseries.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Is it easy to order from Japan and China? Do you have links to any nurseries there? They probably have plants I'd give my right arm for. :-p

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Burncoose nurseries is one UK nursery that will export to the US.

Their website explains the complex process of doing so..

http://www.burncoose.co.uk/site/page.cfm?page_ref=export_eu

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks, kniphofia. I have seen many plants they carry but I didn't know they exported to the US.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

kniph, thanks for the link.

That's the first time I've actually seen the requirements for sending plants from the UK to USA written out.

I skimmed the part about importing to the U.S. and it is indeed a complex process! I didn't realize that generally (for USA) the nursery needed to get a phyto sanitary permit and the receiver in the States also had to have a p.s. permit made up for our government and sent to the UK in advance of shipment. Not to mention the 'soilless' requirements.

I just spent a couple of lovely hours reading my "Gardens Illustrated" (published by the BBC I think) and read all the fine print on plant names. Interestingly, many of the plants in the issues I looked thru were North American natives. It's another instance of those across the sea appreciating what we have right here. Then I spent an hour studying my English seed catalogs and also got inspired with those!

Good luck, killd, I'll be interested to hear which plants you purchase and how the importing goes!

Happy gardening. t.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

tabasco, it may be a while. I've got many on my wish list. But I'm not sure when I'll be able to afford them. I also have a huge wish list of hybrid oaks that are only available in Belgium at pavia.be
I should get them first. :-p
My problem is I want everything. And it kills me that we have some awesome native wildflowers and plants and no one in the US carries them. But it seems you can find them all at the UK and European nurseries. What's up with that????

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Kilda, you may already know about these, but there are several US nurseries w/ extensive listings of unusual natives. My wintertime entertainment is surfing the web to seek out small nurseries with more varied offerings. Among the ones I remember are Arrowhead Alpines, Siskiyou, Mt Tahoma, Edelweis, Eminence Meadows, Hoot Owl Hollow, Keeping It Green, Mason Hollow, Sequim, Wild Ginger. I'm sure there are many others, since I'm just trolling the net randomly. And don't forgot Fraser Thimble Farms in Canada. They have an extraordinary selection and importing to US is easy.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks, weerobin. I have ordered from Arrowhead, Siskiyou and Sequim. Some of the others I already have bookmarked and added to my 'to buy' folder. Some you listed I haven't heard of and I plan to check them out.
I definitely plan to order from FTF though.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Oh, oh and oh! I've been perusing FTF and I've already found something on my want list:
Adiantum pedatum 'Miss Sharples'. :-D

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.