Dahlia campanulata

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Hi all. Does anyone know if Dahlia campanulata (Weeping Dahlia) is available in Australia? A few folks here at DG have "liked" it, perhaps someone knows a grower or supplier of seed. I believe this is not Dahlia imperialis, the Tree Dahlia.
Thank you for any help.

BTW, this is not my pic.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
Clifton Springs, Australia

Don't know it, Wayne...but I will keep my eyes open for it.
I like those petals..

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Thanks Dianne, it would be fun to try here. Might have to investigate seed from USA.

Had a look around Wayne ...I don't think you will find it here, though I think I have seen it in an old garden at Woronora in the 70's.
good luck in finding that seed and if you do I hope it will be viable seed.:)
It's a pretty thing.

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Thank you Chrissy. It is rather fetching!:)

Some years back I found a pile of gardening mags from the 1950's. There was an article in one with illustrations of loads of Tree Dahlia (Dahlia imperialis) cvs. that were available here back then. There were lemon yellow, deep purple, white with shaded tips... all were named. V. exciting! :) Sadly these plants went out of fashion and have been generally "lost"... Maybe the one at Woronora was one of those.

When you get a minute, take a look at this...

http://www.strangewonderfulthings.com/217.htm

Victoria, Australia

They are stunning. I do not know much about them though, I only have the common D. imperialis. It's even semi-naturalised here, escaped from gardens, I've seen it growing wild along train lines.

I have seen a double white cultivar on occasion.

I am pretty sure that was it ...I remember it because it was very ethereal and ethereal I never forget! the garden was down the mountain side where I had to walk 83 stairs and three ramps to get down to my home on the river, that gave me plenty of time to enjoy her rare collection of plants ...many I didn't know the names of ( I worked around the clock in those days).
If it wasn't that one then it has a twin ...she also had the Pink and the Lavender Tree Dahlia, amongst lots of lovely things. Pity I was so busy in those days I could have learned a lot but we seemed to be always missing one another.
All growing under very tall gum tree canopies, no frost.
I miss that place sometimes ...it was like living on a secluded river boat, I left my mark though, lots of trees planted there.Wild Geebungs and other things were donated by the birds.

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Chrissy, do you think that garden might still be there?

I don't know Wayne but I lived in 109 Prince Edward Pk Rd Woronora,
It may still be there ...it grew out the front of her house on the right hand side (looking in from the street) of our home.
So if you are ever out that way you can look ...I have been told that the Pilot who bought our home still lives there. :)

That brick garage is our ex home (Garage up top home below) ...gosh that freaked me out though I could see the home to the left second to the left

This happened there (my neighbours)
http://channelnine.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8209795

I was very happy there but feel sick seeing that home now ...inside scenes are the home in question.Those boys were in and out of my home all the time playing with my son.
Can't see much of the home to the right but they would be quite elderly now ...

Sorry I was shocked to see my garage I neglected the main thrust of your question Wayne no it isn't there any longer because after I played with that thingy I found I could have a look at their frontage and there is only a big huge driveway there where a small carport used to be everything is gone. Funny thing is the old home still looks the same but looks like it has been cleared.
Our ex home you can't see only the roof because it is down there with the wharf just twenty ft away.
I feel really strange looking back ...I lived there for 12 years and it was a very beautiful place.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.