Identification - Belamcanda vs Pardancanda vs other?

Oklahoma City, OK

I had these flowers in my garden for a number of years and then they finally died out and I don't know what they are called so that I can find more. In the Plant ID forum Belamcanda (or Iris domestica) was suggested and it looks extremely similar, but descriptions of it are taller (40") than I recall mine being (more like 18-24"), and mine do not have freckles. I came across pictures of Pardancanda (Iris dichotoma) that also look similar and are shorter and have more solid colors.

I would appreciate opinions!

Thanks -

Mary

Thumbnail by mmlane
Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Check Plant Files for Blackberry Lily.

I grew these from seeds.

Thumbnail by mittsy
South Hamilton, MA

All names for the same plant. Classifcation & name keeps changing.

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

The first picture looks like a pardancanda to me. The second picture looks like an actual Iris domestica.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Quote from irisMA :
All names for the same plant. Classifcation & name keeps changing.

Are you sure that all names listed in this thread are the same?

Iris dichotoma = Iris domestica = belemcanda = pardancanda ???

I vehemently disagree. I see three distinct taxa.

Rick

South Hamilton, MA

Certainly belemcanda & pardancanda. Also Blackberry lily. Can't help what the classifiers do.

So then I assume Pardanthopsis must also be sucked into this too? (Otherwise, where would the colors other than orange come from?) I'd love to read up on this. Any suggestions?

South Hamilton, MA

I just know the discription at Joe Pye Weeds Garden. www.jpw.flowers.com.

So to set the record straight, from the Joe Pye Weed catalog:

Quoting:

The changes we have been expecting in the taxonomy of Pardancandas have been made – they are now 100% irises! The new name is Iris xnorrisii. These are hybrids between Iris dichotoma (formerly Pardanthopsis dichotoma or The Vesper Iris) and Iris domestica (formerly Belamcanda chinensis or The Blackberry Lily).

So there is no "Pardanthopsis" or "Belamcanda" anymore.

But these three are still separately distinct and not the same:
Iris domestica (was Belamcanda)
Iris dichotoma (was Pardanthopsis)
Iris xnorrisii (was Pardancanda)

This message was edited Jun 22, 2011 9:24 AM

Oklahoma City, OK

Thanks, everyone. Today I found some plants at a local nursery labeled Pardancanda 'Norrisii' Candy Lily and bought some, I hope to have a new stand of them going soon!

South Hamilton, MA

The nursery is obviously trying to train people to the new nomenclature. Good for them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.