Sweet Williams, an Old-Fashioned Favorite

Selinsgrove, PA(Zone 5b)

Sweet Williams always remind me of my grandmothers. They both loved flowers and both lived a long life. (92 and 96).

With all the rain this year, mine grew tall.

Don

Thumbnail by DEMinPA
Selinsgrove, PA(Zone 5b)

Another color.

Don

Thumbnail by DEMinPA
Selinsgrove, PA(Zone 5b)

Another color.

Don

Thumbnail by DEMinPA
Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Those are just beautiful. Grew them eons ago but have not found any very nice seed around here in years.

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Done, those are really pretty. I love all three colors. Do you know what varieties they are?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Just beautiful! I can smell them here. I've always loved Sweet William.

Selinsgrove, PA(Zone 5b)

I just buy a pack of the $.20 Walmart seeds. I like the tall variety. They are biennial.

Another color.

Thumbnail by DEMinPA
Selinsgrove, PA(Zone 5b)

And another. Reminds me of peppermint.

Thumbnail by DEMinPA
Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I love these too, and also have memories of them in my grandparents garden. I particularly like the bicolour ones.

It's always worth looking out for the old fashioned scented varieties as some of the more modern bedding plants don't have the wonderful fragrance.

Marble Hill, NY(Zone 6a)

I love the dark red one. I bought a seed packet a few years ago of mostly red and white ones -- but the bees have provided me with lovely varieties over the years.

Thumbnail by jxmas
Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Mine look like Jxmas's. Their blooms are fading, do I deadhead them? Will they rebloom? I have them in large patio container. Just transplanted some more of my WS seedlings in the same container, so I have them to look forward to.

Don, that Sweet William looks almost like it is velvet. It is a real beauty!

Marble Hill, NY(Zone 6a)

I've gotten some reblooming after deadheading but its never as full as the first bloom -- but that could be the hot humid NYC summers

I decided to learn how to collect the seeds from the Sweet William plant and the first try, I didn't know what I was doing and got a lot of chaffe in with the seeds. Second try, I learned to just shake them out in a paper plate and keep shaking the dried bloom till the seeds fell out. If I plant those seeds now, will they flower this summer or early fall?

Don..what is the name of that variety of dark burgundy SW that you showed the picture of?
That is a beauty..Do you recall where you purchased those seeds or did you start it from a plant from the garden center/nursery? How tall does that burgundy one get?

Marble Hill, NY(Zone 6a)

Pippi- in my experience if you plant the seeds now they will bloom next spring
Good luck

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.