somethings killing my butterfly bush

Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

Noticed my buddelia was a bit droppy, but we're in the middle of a heat wave so I increased the water, but it didn't help. Then I noticed that two branches were totally dead and that brown was moving up what seemed to be healthy branches. Some leaves were curled on the edges, but no sign of insects. Any idea what this could be?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Any chance something's been chewing on the roots? Some pictures of branches that are starting to show signs of damage but arent' all the way dead yet would also be helpful. Also, is this an established one that's been around for a couple years, or something that was planted fairly recently?

Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

Its about 3 years old. Has been doing well in this location. We have had anunusually ot dry spring and summer so far. We don't live in an area where we have a lot of subterraenean critters. I'll try to get my husband to take a picture in the morning.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I've got gophers here, so anytime I see weird things like that the first thing I think of is something chewing on the roots! LOL

BB's are pretty drought tolerant, but if you've had an unusually hot/dry spring & summer it could be it's not getting enough water. I also sometimes have problems with spider mites on mine, so it's worth checking for them. Your symptoms don't sound quite right, but if you didn't notice the early signs of them that's one possibility, and hot dry weather is their favorite.

Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

Here's a photo , I'll send a couple of others

Thumbnail by rampbrat
Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

Here's another

Thumbnail by rampbrat
Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

the last one.

Thumbnail by rampbrat
Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

orry, pictures aren't very good. Hubby took them and I don't think he unerstood what I wanted him to get.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

So, how is your butterfly bush? I had trouble with one of mine this spring. We noticed it was wilting from the bottom up. My husband sprayed it with some fungicide. It is coming out of it. The bottom has dead leaves, but the top is greening up and has normal leaves.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.