Clematis bloom longevity

Big Flats, NY(Zone 5b)

Hello, I have become very interested in why so many type 2 and 3 Clematis have such long bloom periods. I have read my small collection of books on Clematis and read many computer sources to the best of my ability. I bet I am missing a lot that you folks know. I am going to mention a few things I have read or perhaps figured out and ask for your comments and thoughts. My first question is, has the longevity always been in all the types used for crosses or has it been purposely sought and selectivity bred? Lee Sherwood McDonald

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

My guess is that it's been bred into the clematis. The public wouldn't be fond of a plant that only bloomed for a few days.

I'll look forward to your additional questions.

Athens, PA

With a nice selection of types 1's, 2's and 3's, you should be able to get flowers from May to September in our zone. Although some cultivars do flower for a longer period than others....

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Big Flats, NY(Zone 5b)

Hello Pirl, I dare say you are right about the longer flowering traits being built in and I was trying to ask how that trait was addressed especially by the earlier breeders.
Hi Carolyn 22 Yes, and I am interested in the how come of those that flower for a longer period than others?! Thank you girls.
Lee Sherwood McDonald

Lee - I'm sure your question would have to be addressed by one of the breeders.

Big Flats, NY(Zone 5b)

Hi Pirl, I am sorry to have asked these type of questions! I love this group and really enjoy the way you share your understanding and your enthusiasm. I thank you for your time and your kindnesses! I am sure we will all have great times sharing our love for these delightful plants. Lee Sherwood McDonald

Oh, don't be sorry! I just meant that none of us are clematis hybridizers and they'd know the process where we don't.

With daylily hybridizing the plants chosen for the cross are selected by strength/vigor as well as bud count/branching and other factors like color/eyes/edges, etc. I can't imagine it's all that different with clematis.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.