This plant is horrible

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have listed it on PlantID.
I will add it here also.
It came with a pirchsaed perennial 3 years ago. Now its everywhere.It even competes with Creeping Jenny.
Pulling it only snaps off at the ground.The roots are reallu bound in.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Its Canadien Blacksnakeroot

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Are you sure? Looks to me like a strawberry relative.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I checked Plant ID Thats what they called it.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

There were more people on the ID forum who said it was Potentilla vs snakeroot...I couldn't tell you for sure one way or the other but Potentilla certainly seems to be a good possibility (there are some "wild" strawberries in genus Duchesnea, some of them are/were considered Potentilla). Its behavior certainly fits better with some of the weedy Potentillas. Sanicula canadensis is a native that's listed as endangered in a couple other eastern states, so I'd be surprised to find it's that aggressive in your area.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

After looking at the page below (link) I feel pretty confident that it isn't Canadian blacksnakeroot.

http://www.missouriplants.com/Greenalt/Sanicula_canadensis_page.html

Barberton, OH

My vote is potentilla simplex. common cinquefoil. Also called 5 finger. Growth is vineing as a strawberry. An indicator of poor soil

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I'll take your word for it.
The poor soil factor sure fits.
I just know its not something I planted deliberatly.
I will go at it with Roundup next season.There was a clear space where I hit it a week ago.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Round Up seems to work best on a sunny, hot day, on new leaves. I've had my practice!

Barberton, OH

I have Indian Strawberry, Duchesnea indica. No idea here it came from. The flowers are yellow, and the fruit is so tasteless that even the birds wont eat it. All my native wild strawberries were drowned with the Spring inundation.

Franklin, TN

There is a type of Roundup (I think) that is specifically for vines. Be sure and get that and not the "regular" Roundup.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

I think regular RU would be suitable. The RU 'for vines' is for woody plants and brush. The 'strawberry' shouldn't be that hard to kill.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.