Iris in wet climates

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

How is it that so many iris farms are in the northwest - isn't that an area of near constant rain in some seasons? I know that Iowa has about 40" of rain a year, and it is often a real challenge to keep ahead of rot. Is it only Seattle that has so much rain? I really don't know much about the northwest.

Taylorsville, KY

They have volcanic soil which is evidently perfect for bearded iris. Yes, they are wet, but the soil drains so fast, it usually is not an issue. You should go there sometime -- the soil is black! They really do grow well there because of it.

Sue

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I wonder if they would ship a truckload of it? Thank you for the info - I was really puzzled by this!

Taylorsville, KY

A good alternative (and a lot closer to you) is nice, norther Illinois loam! My brother brought me a dump truck full a couple of years ago (he had a tree-trimming business so had an end-loader and a truck -- I just had to pay for his gas, which wasn't cheap either). I mixed it in with my very heavy clay soil, along with aged horse manure. I have been pretty stingy with it, since I won't be able to get any more (he has sold the business and retired). I use it straight for new rhizomes when I get them (in pots), and the soil is sooooooo good. The plants get very heavy and dense roots on them in that loam. I wish all of my beds had it, but, sigh, not to be. But you might be able to find someone closer to you to bring you some! Iowa should have some nice loam too, I would think!

Good luck!

Sue - Taylorsville, KY

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Do you have a lot of problems with rot with loam? Do you use raised beds? We do have a lot of good soil in Iowa, and also a lot of composted manure and haylage which might be good with some sharp sand mixed in...

Taylorsville, KY

No rot at all in the loam. My d#@$ clay holds water for days, then dries out and won't absorb any. That is why I mix the loam in, just to loosen it. The pure loam is in the pots and raised beds. The rest of my beds are 10x4, and I mix 2 wheelbarrow loads of loam per bed, along with a load of the composted horse manure. I also add greensand ( a scoop per bed), which seems to help the soil as well. Just before I plant, I sprinkle alfalfa meal. I think if you put some sand in as well as manure, your soil would be great! I plant my new plants in pots or in the pure loam beds for the first year, then transplant them into the other beds the next summer. Seems to works great, since the roots grow so well in the loam, they are in good shape when I transplant them.

Good luck!

Sue

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Maybe we have some loam somewhere. I will ask my geology-wise farmer husband where we might find some. Thanks.

Rochester, MN

>>I will ask my geology-wise farmer husband where we might find some.>>

"Honey, I need new dirt for my garden."

I bet he'll never see that one coming. :)

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Ha ha ha! Actually he often offers loads of various composted manure, haylage, etc. I've learned to look into the offers carefully though, since the one load he brought years ago that had quack grass growing throughout the whole dump. He very thoughtfully spread it all over a new patch of ground I wanted to "enrich"!

Rochester, MN

It was the thought that counted.

Do you have any field rock around? Just a circle of softball size rocks would put the rizomes above ground level and reduce some of your rotting problems. Water seeks it's own level.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

What do you do with the rocks? Make a raised bed?

Rochester, MN

Yep, except that calling it a raised bed makes it sound more elevated than what it would actually be. It would only be high enough so that the bottom of the rhizomes would be just an inch or two above the soil line of the rest of the garden. The circle/whatever of rocks might be only as large around as the clump of your irises. They would also absorb heat from the sun and help dry areas around your irises.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Most of my planting areas are raised beds; much better growing conditions for everything. What I like to do is use a certain area for weeds, thin branches, etc - roughly a compost pile and I keep adding a little dirt from the outside. Then I rough dig everything under and let it rest over the winter, then dig it again in the spring and get rid of anything that hasn't disintegrated yet.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.