Transition from Spring to Summer Containers

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

More pink blooms. Lotus and Mandevella's

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Here is a pretty cool Brugmansia; First the trumpet shape flower appears clear yellow ...

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The following day the trumpet turns pure white ...

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Will share with you the next development of the above Angel trumpet (Brugmansia) next. Now let's see the Inflorescent (flower stalk) of a Plumeria;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The hot pink crinum fully open up a week ago today.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

An American Goldfinch stopped by on its way North that day.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Back to the Brugmansia or Angel trumpet. The final beauty shone through the following morning; It's actually a pink trumpet(s)!

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The 'Football' Lily that same day;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Last one for the evening. The Lotus blossom and arial friend. Hope you've enjoyed the pictures. Common in and share your joy of containers gardening. Until we meet again. Happy spring.
Kim

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Kim, loved seeing all your beautiful containers! Thanks for sharing with us! We are so far behind this year, I'm not sure any of mine will have time to fill in before winter sets in again, lol! Our lilacs are just now blooming, so they are about 3-4 weeks behing where they usually are. Ughh! But that's what's so great about gardening on line! I can enjoy all the wonderful plants that won't ever get here, lol!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank you skellogg for your compliment. The weather indeed is very unusual this year. Lilac, lilac is a much loved plants here. What I've in the garden isn't perform well I've yet to find one that thrives here. They don't have enough 'chills hours' down South I don't think.

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

You're Welcome! Not enough "chill" is not something we ever think about here, lol! But love the wonderful fragrance from the lilacs! They do wonderful here, so almost everyone has tons of them. Seems that when we actually find something that grows good here, everyone plants tons of them! The great part is that the whole neighborhood smells wonderful! Love your football lily! I don't think I've ever seen one of them before!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The 'Football' lily was a gift from a fellow gardener. It reminds me of her gentle way every time I care for the plant. I'm glad you enjoyed it as well. Here is a new one I recently introduced into the garden. I call these 'Blue Butterflies' plant. (Clerodrendron blue).

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Calgary, Canada

Thanks for sharing your garden.
Many of those do not grow here, so it was interesting to see the pictures of your garden.
Caroline

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hello Caroline from Calgary Canada. Many of these 'container grown plants' are not hardy here either. They're truly 'tropical perennials'. It requires hard work on my part. For these containers are portable and are being overwintered indoor.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Pandora vine's blooms. This tropical vine will provide a long season of blooming all through the summer.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

OT; sunset in the garden one evening. ^_^

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The front of the garden spring time make-over.

Before pix;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Other seasonal containers and hanging baskets.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Work is in progress ....

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

One is down, one more to finish.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Another crinum bloomed that day. June 10th. 'Milk & Wine' crinum. This bulb is hardy in my zone.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

More of the crinum 'Milk & Wine' blossoms. Tempermental plants, require sun/shade just right. I've many of these for many years. Only this particular one blooms consistently every year. Others, just foliage.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The make-over continued;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

It is so much fun seeing your transition from spring to summer! I just finished putting seeds in for morning glories and marigolds and such today, hahahaha! It is still very cool in the evenings, down to about 40 most nights, so definately not ready for summer yet! I'm guessing that Calgary isn't any warmer yet, teeheehee!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

skellogg, it's getting very very hot down here in the mid 90'ish most days. Ha, 40 is a tad cold. I'd gladly take it in the mid 50-60 lol.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Here is a delightful bloom, 'Hookerii' from one of the hanging baskets. The bloom opens sometime during the night, and lasted onto the early morning hours.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Link to the above Orchid cactus bloom; http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2100/

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

One of my fav. container is the Penta, salvias, verbenas and nemesias combo.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The Lotus at its peak blooms.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Drove out of town this afternoon late to get a rock or 2, and noticed up in the higher hills the crocuses are just now starting to bloom ;-)

Love that combination planter, Lily!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Great gravel path. Maybe an idea for my gardens. I have a path thats mulch and flagstone odds and ends.

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Kim, you're yard and paths and planters are gorgeous! It must be wonderful living on the water's edge! Do you start most of your annuals for your pots from seed?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Lily_love,

Your garden is awesome! Great combos

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Ge, thanks. The gravel path is my hubby's idea. It turns out nice, there's a the bonus as it's functional. Our yard is slight slope and he was redesigning the area to faciliate drainage for the lawn. Or what we've left of the lawn. Skellogg, I used to devoted the front garden for spring bulbs planting. But the past couple of years I'm shifting from mass bulbs planting into containers -- then the project evolved into a transitional planting to promote a longer growing season. No, I used nursery plants since I can see what I really wanted according to height, color and textures ect. The tropical perennials however, are maintained over the years. The little old spring bulbs garden is gradually turned into a perennial planting which is work in progress at present.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Small Xeric garden this past week.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

'Honey Dew drops' a tropical initial flush of blooms for the season.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Ooops, I called the above flower "Honey Dew Drops" but actually this is what's it. A family of the verbena. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1320/

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Another of those durantas, this one's color is a lighter shade of blue.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Alamanda 'Jubilee' first bloom, another tropical.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.