A strange invader!

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

I found this blooming last week in a clump of named iris.. I have NO idea who it is or where it came from!! I thought it was Superstition at first.. until I started to really look at the picture. Wrong form.. very different beard and that white spot under the beard!.... any ideas? Does it look at all familiar to anyone? Maybe it was a bee pod 3-4 years ago that I never noticed!

Thumbnail by naomimade
South Hamilton, MA

no idea but other plants can drop seedlings when you aren't looking.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

That's quite a unique iris; What is the one it is near? Fascinating mystery!

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

If that's a seedling i say it's a keeper! Very pretty. But then I'm not an iris afficianado. Lol. Just an amateur admirer. :)

I ended up nick-naming it 'Velvet Tuxedo' because it was growing next to National Velvet. And Tuxedo was the clump on the other side... &:-)

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Great name!!!! You should try to register it! :) not sure what that entails exactly, but i think it's just to die for. And what a perfect name.

You're too kind Outlaw.. I don't think that I'm allowed.. I'm not 100% certain of it's parentage. I have grander plans for registering my first iris actually.. &:-) but thanks!

South Hamilton, MA

Why not allowed. Quite a few irises end up with the note: parentage unknown.

NAH... &:-)

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Ok... :(
but if that baby puts out bee pods can i have some seeds? :) i love it. Good luck with your future iris.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.