What does it mean when Peony buds never become flowers?

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

I have a Nancy Nora that I bought last May. It had a couple buds when I purchased it, but they never opened. The did grow to about the size of a large marble. This year the same plant has about a dozen buds that are currently the size peas. It doesn't look like they are going to grow or bloom this year either. I have several different peony varieties and all the others are blooming. Any ideas? I don't think it's planted too deep.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi, Songs of Joy. If you've got the sun shining on it, no obvious pests, and it's planted in a good soil medium with enough water and nutrition, and not too deep as you say, it may just need time to get established. Did you get a healthy bush this year? My year-old Nancy Nora is rather on the late side for its blooming period, as shown by a couple of rather measly blossoms this week. It's possible that yours is still developing its blossoms for this year since you're somewhat farther north, but if it's not, next year the plant will have grown stronger in its new location. I think the buds can dry up if the plant just isn't ready to reproduce/blossom. I've also read that peonies adjust so their eyes are in the exact spot the plant wishes, but that can take a few years of growing. What I did to be sure mine were planted high enough was to err by planting too high, and then I covered them with buckwheat hulls, then salt hay, which i removed when the frost passed. I'm not supposed to have to do that next year since peonies are pretty tough, and they do become happier over a period of a few years.

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the information, Rosemary. Yes, the bush appears healthy. It's planted in a bed with about 7 other new peonies that were also purchased last year. The others are all doing well and blooming. You're probably correct that Miss Nora just needs a little extra time to get established :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.