2011 OP Growout

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Last year I grew 6 Morning Glorys on the same frame and collected the OP seeds last fall. Here are the 6 I grew.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Here are the first F1's. Two flowers opened this morning on the same vine .. since they look a lot alike, dare I hope this is a stable cross? It's pretty easy to tell who the parents are! The variegation on the leaves comes and goes.

This message was edited Jun 7, 2011 3:47 PM

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Love the yellow lutea,

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Wow. Who knew? My self sown seedlings of Heavenly Blue and other named CVs just bloom with small, non-distinctive flowers. Does it take the crossing of two CVs to get your results?

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

CVs? I'm not familiar with that.

Patootie that is actually Ipomoea sloteri that didn't have the Apricot Candy coloring - a reversion possibly back to one of the parent plants? .. I just called it Lutea because it was yellow and didn't know what else to call it. It only happened that once and I was sorely disappointed that it wasn't the Apricot Candy because I had only planted one of 4 seeds I germinated on the MG Frame .. the other 3 in pots came true. Just say the words and I'll include some of the OP seeds from this batch with the others. Should be some interesting crosses though I do not think the sloteri can cross with a nil or purpurea .. can nils and purpureas cross? Granpa is a purpurea and the rest are nils.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

X - sorry. That was my shorthand for "cultivars" which stands for 'cultivated variety.'

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

X - The likelihood of an I. nil and I. purpurea crossing is pretty slim and probably even slimmer between the I. purpurea or I. nil with the Lutea. Most MGs will only cross with their own species. Your F1 is beautiful. Shall I guess? Hannafubuki x Rose Silk? Or is it just a variation of Hannafubuki? I say those two might be the crossed parents because of the white throat.

And I agree with Jackie, your yellow lutea is very pretty!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I'm thinking its the hana and rose - especially with all that white and the rose having the white picotee and the hanna flakes (or is it called blizzard?) showing up. On the first one it looks like the edges are more scalloped like the rose than the second one which has edges like the hana. The odd thing is that some leaves are solid others slightly variegate and some very variegated but none totally.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

X - Those blooms are either indictative to a variation of hannafubuki (and not a cross) or to one of the other I. nil vines (possibly Rose Silk). It would not be considered a stable cross/hybrid until they have been grown out numerous F's. I've heard 7 generations to determine if the vines and blooms remain consistent. (F1 to F7)

I have had Hannafubuki blooms that were striped similar to what you are getting on your F1 vine. The blooms will then start showing more of the blizzard pattern they are most recognized by of that cultivar. So ... it's hard to say for sure if that vine is a cross or not. It will be interesting to see what future blooms look like as well as future vines from any seeds you collect.

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

X, thanks for the kind offer. Let me look first, I think Marie might have sent me some of the yellows. I'll let you know.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I've grown out 4 generations of the hana and have never seen striping like that before in the strain I have.

Cedar cross pollination of two different cultivars are always a "crap shoot" .. you really never know what's going to happen. Sometimes you get "eh" and other times you get "WOW"!

Last year I deliberately crossed Fujishibori with Dracula and Rose Silk. I grew some seeds out this year and the Fuji x Rose Silk in my opinion is an "eh" and constantly puts out the same uninteresting flower, a darker version of Rose Silk over and over and haven't seen any variation! I'm getting at least 1 to 2 blooms a day on that one. So far the Fuji x Dracula is "WOW". The thing is, it's only bloomed twice but I'm seeing more buds on it and can't wait for them to bloom.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

Hanafubuki usually produces a variation of blooms on a single vine for me. Stripes is one of those variations. I got one vine from a Japanese seed packet and it also produced stripes, blizzard, and almost solid pink blooms all on the same vine.

Here is a photo of one of my striped Hanafubuki blooms.

You certainly did get an interesting cross with the Fuji x Dracula. I am always surprised when you cross a speckled and get a solid. Speckles tend to be the dominate gene in a cross from my own experience. It's the F2's that usually produce the solid and other unexpected blooms.

Thumbnail by beckygardener
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I've got 2 more Fuji x Dracula today .. I'll post pictures when they fully open.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.